Phone (09) 299 9102
Fax (09) 299 9104
Papakura Primary Birthing Unit
Papakura Obstetric Hospital came into being in 1958 following the takeover from the Auckland Hospital Board. Prior to this time the Unit was known as Ellerdine and was established in 1943 - 1944 following the purchasing of the Willis family homestead.
This historical farm house is now the home of the Papakura Maternity Unit. It is situated close to the main town centre of Papakura and serves the Manurewa, Clendon, Wattle Downs, Conifer Grove, Takanini, Papakura, Clevedon, Kawakawa Bay, Orere Point, Hunua, Paparimu, Drury, Hingia and Karaka areas. However, low risk women from other areas are welcome to also use this facility.
Features of the Unit include:
- 3 birthing rooms (1x labour pool, 1x deep bath)
- Approximately 500 women birth in this Unit per year
- 600 women return from Middlemore Hospital for their postnatal stay
- Baby Friendly Hospital accreditation since October 2007. The Unit prides itself in supporting women who choose to breastfeed, with a high exclusive breastfeeding rate on discharge
- Antenatal clinics by community midwives 4 days per week
- Caseloading midwives clinic
- Obstetric consultant clinic every Wednesday afternoon for women who require secondary care (higher risk pregnancies). Referral by your LMC/named midwife is required
- Independent and Team Midwives at Papakura Maternity Unit (PDF, 70.7 KB)
- Eligibility and Cost of Maternity Services (PDF, 36.9 KB)
- Breastfeeding Support in the Community (PDF, 123.2 KB)
- Antenatal Classes 2012 (PDF, 58.1 KB)
Note: PDF downloads require the free Adobe Reader application to view.
Visiting times are between 2.00pm and 8.00pm.
Women need rest to recover during their hospital stay. Visiting times and the number of people allowed to visit are limited.
Fathers of newborn babies are welcome to visit any time during daytime hours.
Children are welcome but must be supervised by an adult and must not run around the ward.
Visitors are restricted to two at a time. If you wish to visit outside these hours, please discuss this with your Midwife beforehand. Please refrain from visiting if you or your children are unwell with illness, including flu or chickenpox.
A coin-operated food dispenser is located in the main waiting area of the Maternity Unit. Please note that Reception does not provide change. No cash is kept on the premises.
There are cafe and takeaway shops located within a short walking distance of the Unit.
Public bus and train services are located within a short walking distance of the Maternity Unit.
For further bus or train information, see Maxx Timetables, or phone 09-366 6400 or toll-free on 0800 10 30 80 if outside the local calling area.
There is plenty of free parking available to all patients and visitors.
Patients may be set down or picked up from outside the main entrance but this area is also our ambulance access. Please consider others and remove cars as soon as possible.
The unit consists of the following postnatal room layout:
- 5 single
- 1x two bedded
- 1x three bedded
Complaints and Feedback Procedure
Interpreting and Translation Services (ITS)
Welcome to the Counties Manukau District Health Board Interpreting and Translation Service.…
Counties Manukau DHB promotes good health and is committed to the Smokefree Policy.…
Information for Pregnant Women
There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Directions specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health. If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay. A summary of costs is available from Maternity Administration, Middlemore Hospital.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website.
For any applicable charges, please phone the Accounts Receivable Office on (09) 276 0060.