NGO Mental Health & Addictions Service
Muslim Mental Health Service
This information is specific to Central Auckland.
Affinity’s Muslim Mental Health Service aims to raise mental health awareness among the local Muslim community. The service has a specific focus on education by engaging people through educational workshops, networking, and mental health resource stalls at cultural events.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Basic mental health education via workshops for the Muslim community leaders to enable them to promote mental health in the community
- Cultural awareness training specific to mental health to mental health professionals at ADHB and other NGOs
- A link between the communities, primary health care and the secondary mental health services in order to support the needs of Muslim consumers and their families
- Support members of the Muslim community accessing mental health services and provide support and guidance for the initial phase of contact with services
- On need basis provide short term cultural specific support to Muslim consumers in order to support them accessing the right services and build trust on the mainstream services
- Work in conjunction with the Muslim Social Services to promote mental health in the community and support those services in providing mental health support to Muslim consumers
- To continue researching the areas of need for the Muslim community and to provide best possible advice on how those challenges can be tackled, these areas might include, the needs of Muslim youth, Muslim females, and Muslim refugees.
HOW TO ACCESS THIS SERVICE:
For more information contact the Muslim Mental Health Team on (09) 531 4040