NGO Mental Health & Addictions Service
Maternal Mental Health Crisis Respite Service
This individually tailored crisis respite service provides short term, recovery-orientated respite options for mothers and babies. Support is provided to mothers who are experiencing acute deterioration in their mental health during pregnancy or during the first 12 months after birth. Support may be through respite accommodation, support in the home or other support alternatives that are available. Mothers are supported to learn strategies to reduce their stress levels and improve and maintain their wellbeing. They undertake all mothercraft activities in a safe and supportive environment.
We work as a team to provide:
- Active support for mothers and their babies in a community setting, with the aim of preventing the need for hospitalisation
- a homelike, safe and supportive environment for pregnant women, mothers, babies and young children
- home-based support options
- residential short-term stay
- baby/ toddler safe play area
- recovery focussed support and interventions in collaboration with DHB clinical services
- staff who work alongside mothers to enhance wellness, reduce stress/ distress and maintain their safety in the community
- peer and family/whanau support.
For more information please click on the following link to view the Maternal Crisis Respite section of the Affinity Services website or call (09) 267 5032.