Counties Manukau Health General Surgery
Welcome to the official website for the CM Health Bariatric Service.
- Referral information
- Surgery information
- Support group newsletters (past and present)
- Information from the support meetings from the dietitian, physiotherapy
- Meeting dates etc..
Bariatric Surgery is a treatment option for morbidly obese patients who have obesity related co-morbidities such as diabetes.
- BMI > 40 or BMI > 35 plus comorbidities
- Obesity > 5 years
- Weight < 200 kgs or BMI <55
- Failed non-surgical attempts at weight loss for more than 2 years
- Understanding of and motivated for surgery
- Accepts long term follow up
GPs and Other Medical Professionals
Each referral letter for Bariatric Surgery needs to be accompanied by a completed Referral Assessment Questionnaire. To find the questionnaire, please ensure you have logged into Healthpoint with your username and password. You will now be able to view the secure clinical and referral information for services on Healthpoint. The questionnaire is on the CM Health General Surgery Clinical and Referral page, under 'Referral Process' then 'Bariatric Surgery Referrals'. You need to be a registered NZ Medical Doctor to have access to Healthpoint Clinical information.
Support for Bariatric Surgery Patients and their Families:
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery (PDF, 169.8 KB)
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Procedure (PDF, 160.4 KB)
The symbiotic relationship between physical activity and nutrition
(PDF, 407.4 KB)
Energy In = Energy Out
A presentation by Sarah Mooney - CMDHB Respiratory Physiotherapist / Research Fellow.
- Walking for Health - A Guide to Using Pedometers (PDF, 403.4 KB)
- Weight Chart (PDF, 9.2 KB)
Note: PDF downloads require the free Adobe Reader application to view.