NZ Familial Gastrointestinal Cancer Service (NZFGCS)
The NZ Familial Gastrointestinal Cancer Service (NZFGCS)
- offers assessment of bowel cancer risk for people with a family history of gastrointestinal cancer
- facilitates the diagnosis of hereditary cancer by confirming the family history
- offers surveillance recommendations
- coordinates surveillance for high-risk families
- offers specialist management advice
- provides information for families on familial GI cancer.
The Service comprises a multidisciplinary team that specialises in the assessment and management of familial gastrointestinal cancer. The team consists of family history assessors, gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, oncologists and geneticists. We work closely with genetic services in New Zealand.
We are a national service funded by the Ministry of Health with offices in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch:
Auckland City Hospital
Private Bag 92024
Freephone: 0800 554 555
Level 2 Riverside Block
Christchurch Public Hospital
Private Bag 4710
Freephone: 0800 023 445
Grace Neill Block
Private Bag 7902
Wellington South 6242
Freephone: 0800 262 780
For more information about our service please click here.
Note: Please note below that some people are not available at all locations.
8am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Individuals may be referred when:
- They have had a history of a number of family members over two or three generations being affected with bowel or other gastrointestinal cancer e.g. stomach, pancreas.
- They, or a close family member, may have been diagnosed with bowel or other gastrointestinal cancer at a young age.
- There is concern that they or their family may have a genetic bowel or gastrointestinal cancer syndrome.
- There is a known genetic gastrointestinal cancer syndrome in the family.
Assessment of the Family's Level of Risk for Developing Gastrointestinal Cancers
Co-ordination of Bowel Screening for High Risk Families
Facilitation of Genetic Testing where Appropriate
Specialist Management Advice to Assist in Patient Care
Please click here to read more More
NZFGCS is a national service and there is no charge for NZ residents.
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:35PM on April 29, 2014. This information is reviewed and edited by NZ Familial Gastrointestinal Cancer Service (NZFGCS).