Pukekohe Primary Birthing Unit
Located on the corner of Tuakau Rd and Kitchener St, at the base of Pukekohe Hill. Adjacent to the Pukekohe Aged Care and other outpatient services. Area coverage extends east to Kaiaua, south to Meremere, west to Port Waikato up to Waiuku and the Awhitu Peninsula and north to Drury. However, low risk women from other areas are also welcome to use this facility.
The Primary Birthing Unit facilities include:
- two spacious birthing rooms that have large pools used for relaxation during labour and/or giving birth
- eight single rooms (two with a shared ensuite) and 1 double room are available for postnatal inpatient care
- approximately 400 births per year
- another 350-450 women return to the Unit postnatally for inpatient care after birth
- Baby Friendly Hospital accreditation achieved in 2004, 2007 and 2011 and the Unit prides itself in supporting women who choose to breastfeed, with a high exclusive breastfeeding rate on discharge
- obstetric consultant clinic every Thursday
- community midwife clinics 2 days per week
- breastfeeding support group on Mondays between 10am to 12 pm, for all mums in the community
- Lactation Consultant clinic Thursday afternoons (LMC referral required).
For further information about maternity services offered by this and other Counties Manukau District Health Board Primary Birthing Units, please click here.
Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre
The Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre was set up with Ministry of Health funding in 2008.… More
There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Direction specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health.
If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility
For applicable charges, please phone the Accounts Receivable Office on (09) 276 0060.
Independent Midwives at Pukekohe
(PDF, 179.2 KB)
- Eligibility and Cost of Maternity Services (PDF, 36.9 KB)
- Antenatal Classes 2014 - Pukekohe and Papakura (PDF, 67.2 KB)
- Breastfeeding Support in the Community (PDF, 557 KB)
Note: PDF downloads require the free Adobe Reader application to view.
Visiting times are between 1.00pm and 8.00pm.
Women need rest to recover during their hospital stay.
Fathers of newborn babies are welcome to visit any time during daytime hours.
Children are welcome but must be supervised by an adult and must not run around the ward.
Visitors are restricted to two at a time. If you wish to visit outside these hours, please discuss this with your Midwife beforehand. Please refrain from visiting if you or your children are unwell with illness, including flu or chickenpox.
The unit has the following postnatal rooms:
- 6x single rooms
- 2x single rooms joined by an ensuite
- 1x twin room
Information Pamphlets for Women
This link will take you to numerous Information Pamphlets
All maternity care is free if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Directions specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health.
If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay. A breakdown of costs is available from Maternity Administration at Middlemore Hospital.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website.
For any applicable charges, please phone the Accounts Receivable Office on (09) 276 0060.
(09) 237 0640
(09) 237 0666
Midwives Office: (09) 237 0638
Charge Midwife Office: (09) 237 0616
Patient Enquiries: (09) 237 0640
1 Tuakau Road
1 Tuakau Road
1 Tuakau Road
Rate your experience with NZ Health
This page was last updated at 12:01PM on August 19, 2014. This information is reviewed and edited by Pukekohe Primary Birthing Unit.