Waitemata DHB Mental Health Services
We provide a range of services for children and adults with moderate to severe mental illness or psychological distress. Services are provided by a variety of trained professionals including psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, social workers.
Our services work alongside the person and their family/whanau to provide treatments that will help people recover from mental illness. These may be medications and/or talking therapies. Staff work to empower and support people on their recovery journey.
We mainly provide services to residents of North Shore, Waitakere and Rodney districts. Two of our services (Forensics and CADS) provide services for the entire Auckland region.
- Child, Youth & Family Mental Health Services (ages 0-25)
- Adult Mental Health Services (Community & Inpatient) (ages 20-65)
- Cultural Services for Pacific, Maori and Asian Peoples
- Mental Health Services for Older Adults (ages 65+)
- Emergency Care Centre and Psychiatry Liaison
- Service Coordination
- Community Alcohol and Drug Services (Auckland-wide)
- Forensics Psychiatry Services (Auckland-wide)
You may be referred by your GP if your symptoms are severe and you are having difficulties functioning in your everyday life. Sometimes there may be a waiting period before you are offered an appointment. If your problem is very urgent, you will be seen the same day you are referred.
Accessing information about mental illnesses
* Mental Health Foundation of NZ
Information about the types of mental illnesses and disorders. Visit them here http://www.mentalhealth.org.nz/get-help/a-z/
* Ministry of Health
* Choice & Medication
Information on medication used in mental health and addictions – refer to http://www.choiceandmedication.org/waitemata/
(09) 487 1500
Non-crisis during business hours
- Phone (09) 487 1500 (main hospital switchboard or refer to the specific service page)
- After hours, ring the main hospital - contacts for crises can be accessed via this number.
- Emergency / Crisis Assessment 24/7 (via CMHT crisis staff and Emergency Care Centre): Ph (09) 486 8900.
Private Bag 93503
North Shore 0622
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 9:38AM on May 12, 2016. This information is reviewed and edited by Waitemata DHB Mental Health Services.