Auckland Heart Group provides a totally integrated cardiac service including the following:
- Acute admissions for unstable angina, myocardial infarction (heart attacks), arrhythmias (irregular heart beats), and heart failure.
- Ambulatory blood pressure and Holter monitoring
- Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty (BAV)
- Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty (BMV)
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiology consultation - including ischaemic and valvular heart disease, risk factor assessment, hypertension, arrhythmias and heart failure
- Children’s Heart Specialists
- Conventional Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Angioplasty/ Stenting (PCI)
- Coronary Angioplasty including drug eluting stents
- Coronary Care Unit
- Echocardiogram (ECG) - Resting
- Electrophysiology (EP) studies and Radio Frequency Ablations (RFAs)
- Exercise and dobutamine stress echocardiography
- Exercise treadmill testing
- Holter/ Event Moniter
- Multislice CT Coronary Angiography
- Nuclear myocardial perfusion scans
- Pacemaker implantation
- Percutaneous closure of Atrial Septal Defects (ASDs) and Patent Forman Ovale (PFO)
- Renal and Carotid Stenting
- Transoesophageal echocardiography
- Vascular Ultrasound (renal, carotid and abdominal aorta)
The Auckland Heart Group have 7 clinics around Auckland for treadmill testing and consultation:
CENTRAL Auckland Heart Group, 94 Mountain Rd, Epsom
Mercy Hospital, 98 Mountain Rd, Epsom
NORTH Southern Cross Hospital - North Harbour,
232 Wairau Road, Glenfield
EAST EastMed Specialist Centre, 188 St Heliers Bay Rd, St Heliers
Ormiston Hospital, 125 Ormiston Road, Botany
WEST Totara Health Services, 1 McCrae Way, New Lynn
SOUTH Counties Care Medical Centre,
79-85 Great South Rd, Papakura
Angiography and angioplasty are performed at Mercy Angiography Unit at Mercy Hospital, Epsom.
Inpatient Coronary Care is at Mercy Hospital, Epsom.
Echocardiography is provided through Ultravision Cardiac Imaging from:
- Mercy Hospital, Epsom
Auckland Heart Group provides a 24 hour, 7 day per week, on-call service for GPs, providing advice and/ or patient admission to the Mercy Hospital Coronary Care Unit as necessary.
What is Cardiology?
Cardiology is the specialty within medicine that looks at the heart and blood vessels. Your heart consists of 4 chambers, which are responsible for pumping blood to your lungs and then the rest of your body. The study of the heart includes the heart muscle (the myocardium), the valves within the heart between the chambers, the blood vessels that supply blood (and hence oxygen and nutrients) to the heart muscle, and the electrical system of the heart which is what controls the heart rate.