The Early Childhood Health Team is part of the Community Child Health and Disability Service. We provide a range of community health services mainly to pre-school aged children, young people and their families.
The Early Childhood Health Team is one of the Well Child providers in central Auckland, providing well child care to infants, young children and families with additional support needs. Members of the service visit families at home and see children at early childhood centres, kindergarten, Te Kohanga Reo or daycare, and visit refuges and emergency houses.
Children receive regular visits by the public health nurses to check their growth and development, and to offer support and information to families according to their needs.
Some services such as refugee public health, medically/surgically fragile children and the vision and hearing technicians have different contracts, and the staff work with families of varying ages.
The services we offer include:
Well Child/Tamariki Ora Care
- Growth and development checks
- Nutrition assessment and education
- Immunisation information
- Health education
- Assessment and referral to other health services
- Support groups
- Liaison with Te Kohanga Reo and Puna Reo
- Linking with Iwi providers
- Vision and hearing testing
- Parenting and relationships
- Accessing social services and community resources
- Child safety
We support early childhood education settings to create a healthy environment that enhances learning by:
- Supporting the development and implementation of policies and practices that reflect positive health actions
- Providing health education using a whole centre approach
- Facilitating partnerships between community, whanau and the early childhood education settings
- Assisting access to health resources appropriate for children and whanau.
The Team includes:
- Clerical staff
- Health promotion facilitators - early childhood settings
- Maori community health workers
- Pacific community health workers
- Public health nurses
- Refugee community health workers
- Social workers
- Team leader
- Vision and hearing technicians