Welcome to the official website for the CM Health Bariatric Service.
- Referral information
- Surgery information
- Support group newsletters (past and present)
- Information from the support meetings from the dietitian, physiotherapy
- Meeting dates etc...
Bariatric Surgery is a treatment option for morbidly obese patients who have obesity related co-morbidities such as diabetes.
- BMI > 40 (including obesity-related co-morbidity)
- Failed conventional weight management programmes
- Able to exercise
- >20 - <50 years
- No known contraindications for surgery
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- An obesity related condition that results in recurrent hospitalisation
This email links directly with the surgical team for queries about appointments, referrals, and if you are having problems and need another, more urgent, appointment.
GPs and Other Medical Professionals
Each referral letter for Bariatric Surgery needs to be accompanied by a completed Referral Assessment Questionnaire. To find the questionnaire, please ensure you have logged into Healthpoint with your username and password. You will now be able to view the secure clinical and referral information for services on Healthpoint. The questionnaire is on the CM Health General Surgery Clinical and Referral page, under 'Referral Process' then 'Bariatric Surgery Referrals'. If you require assistance with logins or locating the document, please contact CM Health Web Communications Co-ordinator on
Support for Bariatric Surgery Patients and their Families:
- Bariatric Surgery Support Newsletters (see below)
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Procedure
- Walking for Health - A Guide to Using Pedometers
- Weight Chart
- Bariatric Support Group Meeting Dates 2011 (PDF, 143.8 KB)
Bariatric Surgery Support Newsletter - June 2010
(PDF, 416.6 KB)
Providing information and support for patients and their families, for people who have undergone weight-loss surgery at Counties Manukau District Health Board.
- Bariatric Nurse Specialist Article - April 2009 (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery (PDF, 169.8 KB)
- Patient Information Book for Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Procedure (PDF, 160.4 KB)
The symbiotic relationship between physical activity and nutrition
(PDF, 407.4 KB)
Energy In = Energy Out
A presentation by Sarah Mooney - CMDHB Respiratory Physiotherapist / Research Fellow.
- Walking for Health - A Guide to Using Pedometers (PDF, 403.4 KB)
- Weight Chart (PDF, 9.2 KB)
Note: PDF downloads require the free Adobe Reader application to view.