Located on the corner of Tuakau Rd and Kitchener St, at the base of Pukekohe Hill. Adjacent to the Pukekohe Aged Care and other outpatient services. Area coverage extends east to Kaiaua, south to Meremere, west to Port Waikato up to Waiuku and the Awhitu Peninsula and north to Drury. However, low risk women from other areas are also welcome to use this facility.
The Primary Birthing Unit facilities include:
- two spacious birthing rooms that have large pools used for relaxation during labour and/or giving birth
- eight single rooms (two with a shared ensuite) and 1 double room are available for postnatal inpatient care
- approximately 400 births per year
- another 350-450 women return to the Unit postnatally for inpatient care after birth
- Baby Friendly Hospital accreditation achieved in 2004, 2007 and 2011 and the Unit prides itself in supporting women who choose to breastfeed, with a high exclusive breastfeeding rate on discharge
- obstetric consultant clinic every Thursday
- community midwife clinics 2 days per week
- breastfeeding support group on Mondays between 10am to 12 pm, for all mums in the community.
For further information about maternity services offered by this and other Counties Manukau District Health Board Primary Birthing Units, please click here.