The Regional Eating Disorders Service (REDS) is a regional specialist service provided by an integrated multidisciplinary team including psychiatrists, dietitians, nurses, GPs, psychologists, psychotherapists, social workers, occupational therapists and physiotherapists.
Following recent changes to the continuum of services available for the treatment of Eating Disorders the referral pathway from the primary sector (GPs) is now direct to secondary mental health services.
GP's are asked to refer all clients with suspected eating disorders to the Community Mental Health Centre or Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service in the person's area. Each DHB now has local eating disorder liaison clinicians in post. Clinical pathways are in place and where necessary referrals may be fast tracked to the regional team, or to inpatient services by the secondary service clinicians.
- Direct outpatient treatment and consultation service for individuals in the Northern Region presenting with moderate to severe anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.
- Separate age specific clinical pathways are in place for individuals with moderate to severe anorexia and bulimia. This includes a child and adolescent team utilising the manualised Family Based Therapy approach, an adult team managing youth (18 - 24) and adult clients with severe and enduring eating disorders and a consultation and liaison team who act as the interface with secondary, medical and inpatient services across the Northern, Metro Auckland and Midlands regions.
- The service utilises an evidence based MDT approach, with defined clinical pathways.
- REDS provides a consultation and liaison team which supports the primary and secondary sector through assessment, consultation, liaison, training and shared care outreach treatment for the Midlands, Metro Auckland and Northland DHBs.
- REDS utilises the National Eating Disorders Service Framework “Hub and Spoke” model to support the 5 Midland DHBs.
- For information about support for family, carers and friends please click here
- For a meal support booklet for family and friends click here