Whirinaki (meaning to support) is a community based specialist health service for children and young people, living within the Counties Manukau region, who are experiencing serious emotional, psychological or behavioural disturbance, suspected psychiatric illness or serious mental illness.
We support creativity and innovation in interventions and work closely with the client's and family's wider systems including schools, community, church and extended family.
Our core services include:
- Infant Mental Health Team Whakatupu Ora (children under the age of 4 years)
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health (up to age of 18 years)
- Early Psychosis Intervention Team (EPIT) (16-30 years of age)
We provide specialist assessment and treatment for children and young people experiencing significant emotional, mental health and/or behavioural problems.
It is very important that we see the child or young person with the whole family or significant adults in their life.
After assessment you/your child may be offered a range of treatments and/or interventions including:
- Family Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Therapeutic Story Telling Intervention (TSI)
- Individual Therapy such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Parenting Groups (Incredible Years)
- Group Work (Dealing with Distress)
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
We see clients on site as well as at a number of satellite clinics, at schools, community venues and at home. We have a number of multidisciplinary teams:
|Our staff include:|
Exclusions to this service include mental health issues resulting solely from: intellectual disability, conduct disorder, alcohol and drug dependence. Priority is given to those children/young people with the most severe and acute problems and their family/whanau.