Musculoskeletal and interventional pain medicine involves diagnosis and management of conditions arising from the musculoskeletal system (muscles, joints, tendons, cartilage, bones, ligaments and other connective tissues, and the nerves controlling them).
Disorders of the musculoskeletal system may be acute (present for less than 13 weeks) or chronic (present for greater than 13 weeks) and may result from injury or from degeneration. The most common complaint resulting from such disorders is pain.
Management of musculoskeletal disorders varies considerably depending on the severity and duration of symptoms. Most minor injuries settle by themselves with usual care. More severe disorders may require medication, splinting, manual therapy techniques, biomechanical correction, exercise programs, rehabilitation programs and interventional pain management techniques including joint and spinal injection.
Persisting pain problems such as neuropathic and complex regional pain syndromes can develop a life of their own and may require a multipronged approach to settle.
Dr James Watt - Musculoskeletal Pain Management
I have been practicing musculoskeletal medicine throughout my practicing life and have specialised, practicing it full time since 2000.
I am a member of the International Spine Intervention Society (ISIS) and attend their annual educational conferences regularly. I use their protocols for interventional pain management procedures.
I am a member of the New Zealand Pain Society.
I am particularly interested in :
- Biomechanical and conservative management techniques
- Intervention Pain Management Techniques including
- direct and image intensifier guided peripheral joint blocks
- facet and sacroiliac joint blocks
- radiofrequency ablation procedures
- transforaminal epidural steroid injection
- Rehabilitation and alteration of loading to prevent relapse and recurrence.
I hold a contract with ACC to pay the full cost of your consultation when:
- you have an injury resulting from an accident accepted by ACC for cover
- you have been referred by a registered medical practitioner (a letter or form is required).
I am recognised by medical insurance companies as a musculoskeletal specialist for reimbursement of the part of your consultation fee which varies according to your particular insurance contract. Specialist investigations and Intervention Pain Management procedures generally are covered. Please check with your insurance company regarding your particular contract.