The Oral Health Service is a regional service managed by the Auckland District Health Board (ADHB) with the majority of clinics held at Greenlane Clinical Centre, Middlemore Hospital, Buckland Road and the Mangere Refugee Centre.
Children and adults from the Waitemata District Health Board are treated at Greenlane Clinical Centre.
The Oral Health Service also holds clinics and inpatient and day stay operating sessions at Greenlane Clinical Centre, Starship Children's Hospital, Auckland City Hospital and Middlemore Hospital.
Most dental services for the Counties Manukau population are provided at the Oral Health Clinic at Middlemore Hospital and Buckland Road Southern Cross Campus at Mangere.
THE ORAL HEALTH SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE ROUTINE DENTAL SERVICES TO THE PUBLIC
Services Provided by the Oral Health Dental Service
- Emergency relief of pain clinics.
- Primary care (community) dental services for IHC and special needs adults and children.
- Secondary services (hospital) for medically compromised patients including cardiac, oncology, respiratory, immunocompromised.
- Cleft lip and palate and orthodontics (for craniofacial and cleft lip and palate patients only).
- Tertiary services (complex hospital) in both inpatient and outpatient settings across the Auckland region.
- After hours on-call regional acute service for oral and maxillofacial surgery for the treatment of acute trauma.
Subspecialty Groups Include:
- Special needs children and adults.
- Mental health inpatients only.
- Emergency relief of pain clinic - an emergency service for the treatment of acute toothache.
- Paediatrics - referred to Oral Health by the School Dental Service, private dentists, general practitioners and specialists.
- Oral medicine.
- Orthodontics - this service is available to children with craniofacial and cleft lip and palate only.
- Periodontics - this service is available to special needs, medically compromised and oncology patients referred for the management of severe gum disease.
- Restorative dentistry / cleft lip and palate - this service is based at Middlemore Hospital and works closely with the CMDHB Plastic Surgery Team.
- Oral and maxillofacial trauma and orthognatic surgery - this regional service is based at Middlemore Hospital.
- Prosthodontics - assists with the restoration of dental function to patients being treated for head and neck cancer.
- Artificial eyes, nose and ears - artificial prostheses are made for patients referred to the laboratory service from specialists and other hospitals.
- Mobile Surgical Bus - children can be treated on the surgical bus that visits Pukekohe and Wellsford every six weeks. Children are booked onto the bus through Oral Health.
- Refugee Centre - this is a relief of pain clinic for refugees arriving in New Zealand.
- Laboratory services - the laboratory provides specialised services to patients being treated for head and neck cancer.
Services Not Provided by the Oral Health Dental Service
All routine dental services including:
- Scale and cleans
- Root canal fillings
- Any restorative work such as crowns or dentures.
Patients must visit a private dentist for this type of dental work.
|CHILD||0 yrs old to under Year 9 (Form 3) in school|
|ADOLESCENT||Over Year 9 (Form 3) in school and all adolescents (no matter what circumstances) until their 18th birthday|
|ADULT||18th birthday and over|
|PSYCH||Psychiatric patients must be referred by Mental Health to qualify|
For a list of Dental Officers who work in the Department, please click here.