The Day Stay Unit at Starship is a small, busy unit providing comprehensive medical and surgical care on a short term basis. This includes:
- minor surgery such as tonsillectomy, dental procedures or the insertion of grommets
- pre-admission for surgical procedures that require a stay in hospital
- investigative procedures such as MRI or CT
- medical services such as treatments for gastrointestinal and autoimmune diseases
- check-ups following surgery
- monitoring of some chronic health conditions
- infusions of medication.
If your child is being admitted to the Day Stay Unit, in most cases that means your child comes to the hospital, has their treatment/operation/procedure and goes home on the same day. If your child will require a stay in hospital, you will be advised when you receive your admission letter.