Northland Plastic Surgery is the clinic of David J. MacKenzie Crabb, a cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon.
The clinic offers a variety of services including:
- Cosmetic plastic surgery
- Stem Cell Breast Regeneration
- Skin lesions requiring a plastics approach
- Reconstructive ACC contracts including hands, maxillofacial surgery and limb defects
- Dedicated breast clinic.
What is Plastic Surgery?
Plastic surgery covers a wide range of different surgical procedures that repair, reconstruct or replace structures in many different parts of the body including the skin, face and head, hands, breast and stomach. Plastic surgery does not involve the use of plastic materials.
The nature of plastic surgery is that it is a balance between beauty and blood supply. There are uncertainties regarding scar tissue resolution and the resolution of scar cycle can take one year to complete. There are further uncertainties regarding the pathologies and it is the nature of the specialty that more than one procedure, not always, but often, is required.
If a big operation is being done then minor adjustments are often necessary such as division and set in of pedicles, thinning of flaps, adjustments of scar, to complete the process. The objective is always the use of the simplest method and the most timely process to achieve the result that we are both looking for. Secondary procedures will incur additional fees.
Plastic surgery can generally be divided into two main types:
- Reconstructive surgery: is performed on parts of the body that are abnormal or have been affected by a birth defect, accident or disease. This includes cleft lip and palate repair, scar revision or reconstruction (including skin grafts) following burns. Surgery is usually performed to improve function, but may also be performed to bring the appearance of a part of the body as close as possible to normal.
- Aesthetic or cosmetic surgery: improves appearance or body image by reshaping features of the face or body e.g. breast enlargement, face lift, liposuction.