- diagnose disease states, such as cancer or heart disease
- show if there is any injury to body structures
- provide treatments (interventional radiology)
- assist in the management of normal or complex pregnancy
- screen for the detection of abnormalties in well patients such as for breast cancer, aortic aneurysm, osteoporosis and foetal defects.
- Medical Radiation Technologists (MRTs) or Radiographers perform your X-ray, barium and mammography examinations.
- Sonographers are MRTs who perform your ultrasound examinations.
- Radiologists are specialist doctors who read and understand your films. They will also be involved if you have an intravenous urogram (IVU), barium study, mammogram and a number of other ultrasound procedures. They interpret the results of the images and send them to your doctor.
Northland DHB Radiology also holds clinics at:
Mauri Ora Breast Clinic
Cnr Maunu Road and West End Avenue
Radiologists working at Mauri Ora Breast Clinic are Dr Kim Shepherd and Dr Anthea Wild (see below under Consultants for more information).