Rheumatology is the specialty of medicine that includes arthritis and autoimmune diseases. The term arthritis refers to the inflammation of a joint in the body. An autoimmune disease is where an abnormality in the immune system leads to the body’s defence harming its own cells by mistake.
Paediatric Rheumatology encompasses a wide variety of inflammatory and non-inflammatory conditions of the musculoskeletal system (muscles and joints) as well as conditions of non-infectious multi-system inflammation.
The types of conditions cared for by the Rheumatology team include:
- Juvenile idiopathic arthirits (JIA)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM)
- Connective tissue disease
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis (CRMO)