Bay of Plenty, Canterbury, Central Auckland, Dunedin - South Otago, East Auckland, Hawkes Bay, Hutt, Lakes, MidCentral, Nelson Marlborough, North Auckland, Northland, South Auckland, South Canterbury, Southland, Tairāwhiti, Taranaki, Waikato, Wairarapa, Wellington, West Auckland, West Coast, Whanganui > Allied Health >
Life Unlimited - Hearing Therapy
How does Hearing Therapy work?
We provide free hearing assessments, information, hearing tests and support to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents aged 16 years and over.
A qualified hearing therapist will work with you to evaluate your hearing and make a plan with you to reach your hearing-related goals and reduce the impact of hearing loss on your daily life.
A hearing therapist can…
- Complete a hearing evaluation and discuss your hearing difficulties with you
- Help you use your hearing more effectively and provide information about hearing health
- Teach ways of improving your communication skills
- Help you use hearing aids to greater effect
- Give information about equipment available to assist with daily living, like amplified telephones, personal listening devices, baby monitors, doorbell alarms and smoke detectors
- Teach speech reading and provide auditory training
- Offer advice and practical help to people with tinnitus
- Provide information about funding options
- Refer you to other health services if needed.
- We can help your family, whānau and friends to better support your hearing issues. They are welcome to attend appointments with you.
Our service is independent. We don’t sell or fit hearing aids, but we can give you independent advice about using hearing aids and other listening devices.
- Hearing Therapy Flyer (PDF, 348.2 KB)
Note: PDF downloads require the free Adobe Reader application to view.
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:41PM on July 23, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Life Unlimited - Hearing Therapy.