Our centre offers a range of FREE support services and products to assist cancer patients with any type of cancer as well as their carers, family/whanau and friends, during the cancer journey.
In terms of the Privacy Act, we rely on people making contact with the Cancer Society - we're unable to initiate it.
- Our Supportive Care Coordinator is able to meet with patients and their family/whanau in their homes or at the centre to explain how the Cancer Society can assist - a listening ear, strategies for coping, support, information and understanding
- Transport – providing a shuttle service to and from Palmerston North for treatment on Mondays and Fridays only. We have volunteer drivers for Oncology-related appointments within Taranaki
- Host and support “Look Good Feel Better - womens' programme” and "Feel Stronger Live Better" men's programme
- Complementary therapy – reiki, relaxation massage, meditation and yoga
- Counselling available for patients and their whanau/family that reside in Taranaki
- Exercise classes for patients - 12 week programme in New Plymouth and Hawera
- Living Well with and Beyond Cancer education workshops - for those after treatment
- Social support groups in New Plymouth, Waitara, Stratford and Hawera for men & women, please contact the centre for more information
- Kia ora - e te Iwi - a programme/workshop devised for Maori patients and their whanau/family coping with cancer
- Information and products - library books and headwear (wigs, hats and turbans) for loan, breast cancer merchandise, plus a variety of pamphlets on numerous topics.
- We also have an office at 276 High Street, Hawera on Wednesdays only from 10.00am - 3.00pm
We encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle to reduce their personal risk of cancer. We do this through effective health promotion - education, advocacy, policy and communication on the following topics:
- Tobacco control
- Skin cancer prevention including SunSmart schools accreditation programme and sun protection equipment loan for summer events
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Screening and early detection
- Men's health - “Get the Tools”
There are six staff based in the Taranaki Centre:
Our office administrator - looks after the day-to-day operations of the Centre
Shuttle driver - drives the shuttle to Palmerston North
Health Promoter - coordinate health promotion programmes
Fundraiser/ Events coordinator - coordinates all our fundraising/special events e.g: Relay for Life, Daffodil Day and many other events
Volunteer Coordinator - works with all our Cancer Society volunteers that offer assistance to our centre
Supportive Care Coordinator - is available to offer support, information and assistance to patients and their whanau/family living within Taranaki.
We have many volunteers that are trained to facilitate our social support groups, involved in the delivery of our education programmes and we have many volunteers that help with our fundraising, special events, administration, and general maintenance.
How do I access this service?
Cancer Information Helpline
For answers, support or just a chat, call us free on 0800 CANCER (226 237) Monday to Friday, 8am–5pm.
|Mon – Fri||9:00 AM – 3:30 PM|
Exercise and relaxation
- Massage therapy
- Support during treatment
- Support for family/whānau/partners
- Support groups
- Shuttle services
- Volunteer driving services
Welfare & advocacy services
- Advocacy services
Wellness / healthy lifestyle
Breast, Gynaecological, Leukaemia and Blood, Lung, Prostate, Skin Cancer / Melanoma, Brain and Spinal, Head and Neck / Thyroid, Upper Gastrointestinal (Oesophagus / Stomach / Liver), Lower Gastrointestinal (Bowel / Rectum / Anus), Kidney, Bladder, Testicular, Sarcoma, Others, Childhood Cancers
Ample FREE parking available at our centre, 71 Lorna Street, Lynmouth
(06) 757 3006
(06) 757 8795
TSB Cancer Support Centre
71 Lorna Street
TSB Cancer Support Centre
71 Lorna Street
PO Box 5153
New Plymouth 4343
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:14AM on April 7, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Cancer Society Taranaki.