Māori Cancer Co-ordinators - Kai Manaaki Mate Pukupuku (MidCentral)
Cancer Network Group Service
Māori Cancer Co-ordinators provide advice and support to people receiving care and services at MidCentral Health.
We can manaaki patients by:
- Linking with services for additional support e.g. home improvements, caregiving, respite care, stop smoking support, liaison with WINZ, etc.
- Improving communication between the patient and the Cancer Service
- Promote cancer prevention to empower Māori whānau through raising the awareness about cancer and health services in our community
- Support patient and whānau in a place that they feel comfortable e.g. home, hospital, the marae
- Provide a free service that is informative and practical to meet patient needs e.g. someone to find the answers to your questions, support for appointments, education programmes and good self help information
Co-ordinators are based within four kaupapa Māori health providers, covering the MidCentral region:
Best Care (Whakapai Hauora) Charitable Trust - Palmerston North City area
Phone: (06) 353 6385.
Raukawa Whānau Ora - Manawatū, Horowhenua / Otaki area and between Bulls and Te Horo
Phone: (06) 368 8678
Rangitāne o Tamaki nui a Rua - Tararua area
Phone: (06) 374 6860
Te Wakahuia Manawatū Trust - Manawatū and Feilding area
Phone: (06) 357 3400
Welfare & advocacy services
- Advocacy services
- Cultural advocacy services
- Kaupapa Māori
- Support during treatment
- Support for family/whānau/partners
- Support groups
Breast, Childhood Cancers, Gynaecological, Leukaemia and Blood, Lung, Prostate, Skin Cancer / Melanoma, Others, Brain and Spinal, Head and Neck / Thyroid, Upper Gastrointestinal (Oesophagus / Stomach / Liver), Lower Gastrointestinal (Bowel / Rectum / Anus), Kidney, Bladder, Testicular, Sarcoma
How to access this service
We accept referrals in any way, including self-referrals.
For more information, contact the provider nearest you.
Best Care (Whakapai Hauora) - Kathleen Holloway-Smith
(Palmerston North area)
Raukawa Whānau Ora - Polly Marsters
(Manawatu, Horowhenua/Otaki area and between Bulls and Te Horo)
Rangitāne o Tamaki nui a Rua - Kathy Mihaere
Te Wakahuia Manawatū Trust - Chrissy Paul
(Manawatū and Feilding)
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:39AM on December 3, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Māori Cancer Co-ordinators - Kai Manaaki Mate Pukupuku (MidCentral).