Cancer Network Group Service
Sweet Louise was launched in 2006 as a unique charitable organisation providing support and services for New Zealanders living with secondary (also known as 'advanced' or 'metastatic') breast cancer. Membership to Sweet Louise is free and open to all women and men living in New Zealand who have received a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer.
Sweet Louise was inspired by the life of Louise Perkins who lived with metastatic breast cancer for ten years, until the age of 39. Louise embraced life to the fullest. She lived with absolute positivity and went about life with cancer as part of living, rather than as a main focus of her life.
Louise had some Tips for Life and we'd like to share some with you.
- Go to the party
- It's not about how you look, it's about how you are
- Five fruit and veg
- Buy the present for the person
- Think of the good in people
- Positive visions
- Is there something sweet?
- Touch, listen, trust
- Love the children
- Don’t procrastinate, do it!
- Tell me how you feel, not just what the facts are
- Most importantly, love
Our purpose is to help improve the quality of life for women and men with metastatic breast cancer. We achieve this by providing a comprehensive range of support, services and therapies designed to enhance wellbeing. All services are approved by our Medical Advisory Board.
Locally based Support Coordinators with a health professional background and/or experience in oncology/palliative care, support members through home visits, email communication, telephone support. Sweet Louise also offers its members access to a range of services that complement existing medical and community support services. We provide:
- an annual allocation of vouchers worth $500 to spend on our range of complementary and practical services
- regular member meetings (in some locations) offering peer support, inclusive activities and interesting speakers presenting on relevant topics
- an informative website
- a wide range of information resources, both electronic and printed
- referrals to, and collaboration with, community organisations supporting families experiencing cancer
- Tumour specific support groups for adults
- Spiritual care
Exercise and relaxation
- Massage therapy
- Tai chi
- Nutrition and dietetics
- Private transport
- Volunteer driving services
Support during treatment
- Support for family/whānau/partners
Welfare & advocacy services
- Wig subsidy
- Gardening services
- Home & domestic help
- Meals support
|Mon – Fri||9:00 AM – 5:30 PM|
Public Holidays: Closed on all public holidays.
How to access this service
Telephone - 0800 11 22 77
Register online at www.sweetlouise.co.nz
Three Support Coordinators cover the Greater Auckland and Whangarei areas.
Two Support Coordinators cover Waikato, Bay of Plenty, and the Midcentral region of the North Island.
One Support Coordinator covers the Greater Wellington area, Christchurch, and the Marlborough region of the South Island.
1 Prosford Street
1 Prosford Street
PO Box 137 343
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:48AM on December 17, 2018. This information is reviewed and edited by Sweet Louise.