Auckland DHB Antenatal Classes - Pregnancy and Parenting Education
Community Health Service
BOOK EARLY! LIMITED CLASSES!
RE PREGNANCY & PARENTING CLASSES DUE TO COVID-19
With the move from Level 2 to Level 1 from midnight 7 October 2020, face to face classes have now returned to the community. Zoom classes are also available. See the schedule of classes below.
Pregnancy & Parenting Education Classes - BOOK EARLY, LIMITED CLASSES!
The Women’s Health Directorate at Auckland District Health Board (ADHB) provides an enhanced programme for fully funded pregnancy and parenting education. The service is for all women expecting their first baby, their partners and whānau, including young/teen parents, Māori, Pasifika and Asian parents, and parents for whom English is their second language. You must live in the ADHB boundary and be a resident of New Zealand or have visa eligibility for healthcare services.
- Accessing the Classes
- Pregnancy and Parenting Topics
- Pregnancy and Parenting Class Schedules
- Ngāti Whātua Ōrakei Kaupapa Māori Childbirth Education Classes
- Mokopuna Ora Healthy Pregnancy and Baby
- National Women's Health Service
- Feelings of anxiety or depression during pregnancy or during those early parenting days?
- Those early weeks and beyond ...
- Pregnancy & Parenting Quick & Informative Videos
- Auckland DHB pregnancy and parenting pamphlet
Courses Offered - BOOK EARLY, LIMITED CLASSES!
Women and their partner/support person can access Zoom, and face to face pregnancy and parenting education across multiple locations within the Auckland DHB area. Classes include:
1. EARLY PREGNANCY CLASSES (14-16 weeks into pregnancy is recommended). Pregnant? What next? This is an early pregnancy class for all pregnant women 14-16 weeks pregnant and their partner/support person or whānau. It is a two hour Zoom information session to help answer all your pregnancy questions. See the early pregnancy class schedule below.
2. ADVANCED PREGNANCY AND PARENTING CLASSES (around 28 weeks pregnant): These are more comprehensive than the early pregnancy classes, and courses are six hours long. We recommend you attend this after an early pregnancy class. You may choose a midweek course which consists of 2x3 hour classes run over two consecutive week nights, or one class of six hours on a Saturday. Alternatively, we have scheduled some Zoom classes. See the advanced pregnancy class schedule below.
3. CALMBIRTH CLASSES (pilot programme): We are very excited to bring ‘Calmbirth’ to you free of charge – this is an exceptional opportunity! This pilot programme is part of an initiative to create opportunities for normal birth at Auckland Hospital. Calmbirth connects the psychology and physiology of birth to provide you and your partner with effective tools to support your labour and birth experience. REGISTRATIONS ACCEPTED FROM 20 WEEKS INTO PREGNANCY.
Calmbirth usually costs $475 per couple. We can offer this to you at NO COST if you:
- Live within the Auckland DHB catchment area
- Have chosen to birth your baby at Auckland City Hospital
- Are committed to completing the full 12 hour course and practising the techniques.
Priority will be given to:
- women planning a NORMAL BIRTH or planning a normal birth after caesarean
- women who are particularly anxious about labour and birth
We invite you to take part in the Calmbirth evaluation which will help us gather information for this pilot programme.
The best time to attend a Calmbirth class is around 32-34 weeks into pregnancy. REGISTRATIONS ACCEPTED FROM 20 WEEKS INTO PREGNANCY. We also invite you to take part in the Auckland DHB's Pregnancy and Parenting Programme which consists of early pregnancy and advanced pregnancy classes.
See the Calmbirth information leaflet for more details and real life experiences of couples who have completed the course. See the Calmbirth class schedule below and be sure to book into an early and/or advanced pregnancy class.
5. COMMUNITY BREASTFEEDING CLASSES FOR PREGNANT WOMEN: ***NEW, NEW, NEW***
This is a FREE, one-off two hour breastfeeding class for all pregnant women from 28 weeks, facilitated by lactation consultants. This may be your first pregnancy or you may have had breastfeeding problems with your last baby and want more information and help. The session covers:
- The 'normal' course of breastfeeding
- What to expect in the early weeks after your baby is born
- How to access breastfeeding help when problems occur
Support people (husband, partner, grandmothers etc) are welcome.
Classes are held at Sandringham (evening class) and Mt Roskill (weekday morning class). These classes are popular so EARLY BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL.
Choose a class from the schedule below then register.
4. WEAVING WAIORA WĀNANGA, A KAUPAPA MĀORI CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION PROGRAMME: Join the team at Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei for a kaupapa Māori pregnancy and parenting education experience. Explore te ao Māori in relation to traditional Māori birthing alongside current evidence based pregnancy and parenting education.
Women and their partner/support person can access face-to-face pregnancy and parenting education in community locations and via Zoom classes.
The Early Pregnancy Classes (14-16 weeks pregnant is recommended) consists of one two hour Zoom class. Bookings are essential.
The Advanced Pregnancy & Parenting Classes (around 28 weeks pregnant) consist of 2 x 3 hour classes run over 2 weeks, or a block course of 6 hours on a Saturday. These are face to face and Zoom classes. Bookings are essential.
We will contact you in writing to confirm your booking. SHOULD YOU FAIL TO ATTEND AS BOOKED, WE CANNOT RE-BOOK YOU INTO ANOTHER CLASS BECAUSE OF THE HIGH DEMAND FOR OUR CLASSES.
Please note that we do not accept bookings until women are 14 weeks pregnant.
Classes are available in:
- Glen Innes (Weaving Waiora Waananga)
- Auckland City Centre, High St
- Royal Oak
- Mt Roskill
Register for a Pregnancy and Parenting Class near you
- The maternity system in New Zealand - the role of your Lead Maternity Carer (LMC) and other health professionals, choosing where to give birth, support networks in your community, your rights and responsibilities
- Changes in pregnancy - foetal development, supports and services
- Healthy pregnancy - healthy eating, exercise, and the effects of smoking, alcohol and drug use
- Pregnancy care - antenatal checks, screening, planning for birth, complications of pregnancy
- Labour and birth - choices and options, Lead Maternity Carer (LMC), labour signs and stages, managing pain, birthing, complications and immediate care after birth
- Postnatal care - care for mother and baby, family support, body changes, rights and responsibilities
- Breastfeeding and safe sleeping - infant nutrition and safe sleep practices
- Māori module - narratives of mothers’ experiences and considerations for Māori parents and whānau, and others interested
- Teen pregnancy module - focuses on meeting the needs of teenagers.
Register for a Pregnancy and Parenting Class near you
PLEASE NOTE: All pregnancy & parenting classes are NATURAL BIRTH CLASSES and are for women who are healthy and have a low risk of complications when giving birth. A natural or normal birth is where no medical intervention is planned.
JAN-21 EARLY PREGNANCY
JAN-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Wed||13/20 Jan||6-9pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Meadowbank Community Centre, Activity Room||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Thu||21/28 Jan||6-9pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Meadowbank Community Centre, Activity Room||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Sat||23 Jan||9am-3pm||Parking on and off-site|
|JAN-21 CALMBIRTH||REGISTRATIONS FOR CALMBIRTH CLASSES ACCEPTED FROM 20 WEEKS INTO PREGNANCY|
|ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||7/14 & 21/28 Jan||6-9pm||A course of 4 classes|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||16, 17 Jan||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||23, 24 Jan||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
JAN-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||13 Jan||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||20 Jan||10am-12 noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||27 Jan||7-9pm|
FEB-21 EARLY PREGNANCY
FEB-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Tue||2/9 Feb||6-9pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Sat||13 Feb||9am-3pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Wed||17/24 Feb||6-9pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat||20 Feb||9am-3pm||Parking on and off-site|
|FEB-21 CALMBIRTH||ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||4,11,18,25 Feb||6-9pm|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||13/14 Feb||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||27/28 Feb||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
FEB-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||10 Feb||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||17 Feb||10am-12noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||24 Feb||7-9pm|
|MAR-21 EARLY PREGNANCY||ZOOM||ZOOM||Wed||3 Mar||6.30-8.30pm|
|MAR-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY||St John's Presbyterian Church||422 Mt Albert Rd, Mt Roskill||Tue||2/9 Mar||6-9pm||Parking on-site|
|Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Sat||13 Mar||9am-3pm||Parking on and off-site|
|Betty Wark Rm, Ellen Melville Centre||1 Freyberg Pl, CBD||Wed||17/24 Mar||6-9pm||Parking at Victoria St|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat||27 Mar||9am-3pm||Parking on and off-site|
|MAR-21 CALMBIRTH||ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||4,11,18,25 Mar||6-9pm|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||6/7 Mar||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak
|Sat/Sun||20,21 Mar||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off-site|
|MAR-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES||Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||10 Mar||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||17 Mar||10am-12noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||24 Mar||7-9pm|
|APR-21 EARLY PREGNANCY||ZOOM||ZOOM||Wed||7 Apr||6.30-8.30pm|
|APR-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY||ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||8/15 Apr||6-9pm|
|Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St John's Rd, St Johns||Sat||10 Apr||9am-3pm|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Tue||13/20 Apr||6-9pm|
|St Johns Presbyterian Church||422 Mt Albert Rd, Mt Roskill||Sat||24 Apr||9am-3pm|
|APR-21 CALMBIRTH||ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||8,15,22,29 Apr||6-9pm||A course of 4 classes|
|Yarnton House||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||10/11 Apr||9am-4.30pm||Parking on and off site|
|ZOOM||ZOOM||Tue/Wed||20,21, 27,28 Apr||6-9pm|
|APR-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES||Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||14 Apr||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||21 Apr||10am-12noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||28 Apr||7-9pm|
|MAY-21 EARLY PREGNANCY||ZOOM||ZOOM||Wed||5 May||6.30-8.30pm|
|MAY-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY||Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St Johns Rd, St Johns||Sat||01 May||9am-3pm||On and off-site parking|
|St Johns Presbyterian Church||422 Mt Albert Rd, Mt Roskill||Tue||11/18 May||6-9pm|
|Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat||15 May||9am-3pm|
|Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat||29 May||9am-3pm|
|MAY-21 CALMBIRTH||Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||1/2 May||9am-4.30pm|
|Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||22/23 May||9am-4.30pm|
|MAY-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES
||Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||12 May||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||19 May||10am-12noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||26 May||7-9pm|
|JUN-21 EARLY PREGNANCY
|JUN-21 ADVANCED PREGNANCY||Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Tue||8/15 Jun||6-9pm|
|Betty Wark Rm, Ellen Melville Ctr||1 Freyberg Pl, CBD||Tue||8/15 Jun||6-9pm|
|St John's Presbyterian Church||422 Mt Albert Rd, Mt Roskill||Sat||12 Jun||9am-3pm|
|Meadowbank Community Centre||29 St Johns Rd, St Johns||Sat||26 Jun||9am-3pm|
|JUN-21 CALMBIRTH||ZOOM||ZOOM||Thu||3,10,17,24 Jun||6-9pm|
|Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||12/13 Jun||9am-4.30pm|
|Yarnton House, Royal Oak||14 Erson Ave, Royal Oak||Sat/Sun||26/27 Jun||9am-4.30pm|
|JUN-21 BREASTFEEDING CLASSES||Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||9 Jun||7-9pm|
|Oasis Hub||56 Glass Rd, Mt Roskill||Wed||16 Jun||10am-12noon|
|Mama Maternity||13 Coyle St, Sandringham||Wed||23 Jun||7-9pm|
Register for a Pregnancy and Parenting Class near you
Join the team at Ngāti Whātua Ōrakei for kaupapa Māori pregnancy and parenting education classes. Enjoy all the key messages, alongside exploring Te Ao Māori in relation to pregnancy and parenting - the status of wāhine hapū, whakapapa, ancestral stories, traditional birthing and parenting practices and much more. Make your very own ipu whenua (container for the afterbirth), and learn the significance of the afterbirth. Learn kupu Māori (Maori language) in relation to pregnancy and parenting. This is an empowering journey for all new mātua/parents. It allows whānau to share their stories, bring out whānau knowledge and weave each other's experiences together for the wellbeing of our pēpī, tamariki, whānau and wider community.
Wānanga courses are available and are held over two days, 9am to 3pm. There is a sleepover option if required.
Look for a course that suits you in the schedule above or contact the Ngāti Whātua team on 0508-6967-2534 or email ngatiwhatuaorakei.com.
Are you looking for information on health services for women and babies who need maternity, newborn, gynaecology and fertility care? National Women’s Health is part of Auckland District Health Board. We provide high quality health services with a focus on achieving the best possible outcomes for women, babies, and whānau. Take a look at all they have to offer - http://nationalwomenshealth.adhb.govt.nz/
SmartStart - A step by step guide for you and your baby!
In addition to the face-to-face classes, check out the Mokopuna Ora website containing evidence-based pregnancy and parenting information. This is the curriculum for pregnancy and parenting classes.
To view the new "Mokopuna Ora Healthy Pregnancy and Baby" website please click here www.mokopunaora.nz.
Having a baby brings a great deal of happiness, but it can also be a stressful time for many. The new journey for mothers, fathers and their whānau/family often brings change and requires a lot of support. Up to 25% of women experience emotional turmoil and as many as one in eight suffer from depression during or after pregnancy.
HELP AND SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE! Check out www.depression.org.nz to find out about depression and anxiety symptoms, ways to help others, as well as finding services which can offer more support. There is also information specific to the perinatal period available at Mothers Matter, www.mothersmatter.org.nz and Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Aotearoa, www.pada.nz.
You can be helped and supported through these challenging times.
Private Providers of Pregnancy and Parenting Education
Pregnancy and parenting classes are also available through private childbirth education providers. These can be located by searching online for Auckland Central antenatal classes. Fees may apply.
The transition to parenthood is a time of many changes. Plunket's Parenting Education Programme, PEPE, is a series of five FREE courses aimed at supporting parents through the different stages of their child's early development. The courses are designed to support parents in their parenting role, build parent confidence and connect parents with other parents and the local supports and resources in their area. The programme begins with "Your New Baby - parenting in the first six weeks" and steps parents all the way through their child's development to the age of 5 years. Look online for more information or contact Plunket to find a course in your area - www.plunket.org.nz
- Introduction to Breastfeeding
- How is breast milk made?
- How will you know your baby is getting enough?
- What causes sore nipples?
- Where can you get help from?
Pregnancy and Parenting Education for you and your Whānau
Take a look at our revised Pregnancy and Parenting pamphlet and get a glimpse of what Auckland DHB offers expectant mothers and whanau.
Pregnancy and parenting education classes are FULLY FUNDED to women living within the Auckland District Health Board area, and who have New Zealand residency status. If you live outside the Auckland District Health Board area, please contact your local District Health Board for pregnancy and parenting class details.
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:55AM on January 27, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Auckland DHB Antenatal Classes - Pregnancy and Parenting Education.