8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Franklin Hospice is about community-based health care. It’s about enabling people faced with a life-limiting illness to stay in their own homes as long as possible – to live every moment.
We ensure anyone requiring palliative care receives quality services from skilled professionals, and that family/whanau are supported during, and after, thier journey.
Our community based clinical care is provided mainly in the patient’s own home (which could be a retirement village) by registered nurses, experienced and trained in palliative care. We work closely with doctors, our hospitals, pharmacists, residential care facilities and family support staff to ensure our patients and their families or caregivers have all the necessary resources to cope with the stress and anxiety of a terminal illness.
We are available to everyone within the Franklin locality and our service is free.
The most significant service delivery areas for Franklin Hospice are:
- Our team of experienced palliative care registered nurses delivering palliative care through coordinated care, regular phone contact and home visits. One of our nurses is available by phone 24 hours every day.
- Arranging for in-patient care if required in partnership with Totara Hospice South Auckland, Pukekohe Hospital and Franklin Memorial Hospital.
- We use trained counsellors (including spiritual counsellors) to provide psychosocial support to patients and families. Everyone's journey is different and some find great benefit in being able to speak with others.
- Hospice staff and volunteers provide a range of medical equipment to patients in their homes.
- Hospice volunteers provide transport for patients to medical appointments if this transport is not available from other sources.
- Our trained volunteers provide short term in-home respite for carers during the day for those carers who would benefit from a short break.
- A Reflections programme where our biographer can record a patients life story - a legacy of memories that will last.
- Therapeutic massage therapy.
- Support groups.
- A range of other services such physiotherapy and home healthcare where we link with local outside agencies.
Specialist Community Nursing Service
This service provides coordinated specialist palliative care and nurse visits to patients usually in their own homes and links with other services including GPs, palliative specialists and District Nurses. We have five nurses on staff including two Clinical Nurse Specialists.
Patients are referred to hospice from a number of sources including GPs, hospitals, the Cancer Society and palliative specialists.
Franklin Hospice typically receives between 150 and 200 referrals of new patients every year and we are actively working with between 45 and 60 patients at any one time. This number will grow as the Franklin population increases and our population ages.
While one of our nurses is available 24 hours, 7 days a week by phone, our normal hours are Monday to Friday 8.00am to 4.30 pm. After hours treatment (especially weekends) is typically provided by District Nurses with whom we work closely.
Franklin Hospice has relied on its volunteer base to directly provide service to patients in the form of transport to medical appointments the provision of equipment to patients, providing short term respite and a range of other services. Our volunteers are also key to helping raise the funds required to allow the hospice to provide its range of services.
How do I access this service?
Make an appointment, Contact us
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
End of life care
Franklin Hospice uses experienced counsellors to support our patients and their families. Our counsellors meet with clients in their own home, at the hospice or in counselling rooms.
- Hospital transport/ shuttle
Franklin Hospice is fortunate to have a group of volunteer drivers able to drive our patients to medical appointments at Middlemore or Auckland hospitals if there is no alternative transport…
Injury, illness or disability
- Aids and equipment
Franklin Hospice owns and maintains over 250 individual items of equipment, all designed to make patients as comfortable as possible and assist their families while they remain at home. Special…
Family / whanau
In addition to counselling support, Franklin Hospice also facilitates support groups for:
a) patients, with a range of activities
b) carers, where volunteers provide brief respite for carers, and
Hospice services are free to patients and their immediate family.
(09) 238 9376
(09) 238 9323
Or contact us online here
29 Hall St
29 Hall St
PO Box 118
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 4:04PM on April 9, 2018. This information is reviewed and edited by Franklin Hospice.