Waitematā DHB Occupational Therapy - Community
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
About the Service
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, community Occupational Therapists assess the occupational performance associated with everyday tasks. Interventions are patient centred and are aimed at working with patient and carer/whanau needs.
- Education and advice to improve occupational performance.
- Rehabilitation programmes aimed at improving the outcomes of occupational performance.
- Advice and/or assistance with applications for home modifications and accessible environment
- Assessment and advice regarding the provision of standard wheelchairs, seating and lying for activities of daily living.
- Cognition screening.
- Fatigue management & adapting occupations, life style design.
- Pain management.
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 4:30 PM|
Except on Public Holidays
According to service specifications provided by the funder, referrals to allied health Community Occupational Therapy are taken from:
- Self or, with the patient’s permission: - family/whānau GPs, hospital staff, specialists and other health professionals.
- Patients who are unable to safely carry out activities of daily living due to a temporary or long-term disability or illness.
- Adults over the age of 16 years.
Referrals are not accepted for the following:
- Referrals that are for simple equipment only, (e.g. hand-rails), and do not require a full occupational performance or functional assessment. Information is given to client and family as to where this equipment can be obtained for their installation.
- Children under the age of 16 years are to be referred to Child Development Services.
- Residents living in Residential Homes/ Care Facilities who require ongoing treatment.
- People with mental health and behavioural disabilities.
- Assessment of complex wheelchair and level two seating (refer to Mobility Solutions).
- ACC clients (apart from those requiring equipment-based intervention up to six weeks post discharge from an acute setting.).
- People who require specialist occupational therapy assessment and intervention e.g. driving assessments.
Please telephone the Referral Screener for all requests, information and advice:
Phone: (09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday)
Fax: (09) 486 8997 (for referrals)
- Community Occupational Therapy - Information Sheet [Mar17] (PDF, 267.5 KB)
(09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday)
(09) 486 8997 (for referrals)
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 2:33PM on October 1, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Waitematā DHB Occupational Therapy - Community.