ARDS School Dental Service
General Dentist Service
General Check up
General Dental Check
Your child's first dental appointments should start when they are about 1 year old.
At your child’s general dental check they will have a full clinical dental examination by a registered Dental Therapist/Oral Health Therapist. Dependent on your child's age and needs this may include x-rays to check for problems below the gum, between & inside teeth, bone areas and tissue within the mouth.
Your child will also have their dental needs assessment completed. The assessment will help determine the best time for your child to be seen for their next general dental check: 6, 12 or 18 months’ time.
The dental needs assessment considers several things:
- The clinical dental examination
- X-ray results (if applicable)
- Your child’s diet and brushing habits
- Any dental problems your child has had in the past
- Some medical factors
- Preventive treatments used
You can talk to your Dental Therapist/Oral Health Therapist if you have any questions about your child’s dental treatment or dental needs assessment.
Below are some ways you can help to keep your child's teeth healthy:
- Brush teeth two times a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Give your child water to drink when thirsty, it is fresh and free
- Don’t let your child sleep with a bottle in its mouth
- Keep sweet foods to meal times and try to give teeth a rest of 2 hours between eating
- Give sugar free snacks such as bread, cheese, vegemite, fresh fruit, vegetables, egg, plain crackers