Mental Health & Addictions>

How do I seek help?

The best place to start is to see your general pracititioner (GP) and ask for an extended consultation. They will be able to provide advice and may suggest treatment options, including medication, psychotherapy and counselling. Where appropriate, they will be able to refer you to another person or organisation. Most public, DHB based, mental health services require a referral. Your GP will initiate a referral if you meet the criteria.

You may be referred to an NGO mental health service by a DHB service for extra support. Some mental health NGOs accept referrals from GPs or self referrals. You can view the service profiles on Healthpoint for more information.

Useful websites, self help groups and other help