3DHB - Acute Inpatient Services - Youth and Adult
Mental Health & Addictions Service
Te Whare Ahuru Acute Inpatient Unit
- Programme Areas
Crisis / acute, Mental health
- Programme Type
- Age Groups
- Referral Types
DHB clinical services
If you or someone you know needs urgent help, call Te Haika - 0800 745 477, our 24/7 mental health and addictions contact centre.
The service is for people who live in the Hutt Valley who are experiencing severe mental illness. We sometimes admit people from Wairarapa and the wider Wellington region.
Te Whare Ahuru is a 24 hour mental health assessment and treatment service for adults aged from 18 upwards who are experiencing serious mental health concerns.
Here are examples of what we provide:
- Occupational therapist engages people in everyday activities of interest, paid or volunteer work, outside interests and activities to get them on the road to feeling better.
- Mental health nurses help with medication, advocacy and assessment.
- Mental health support workers focus on people’s comfort and their personal cares.
- Social workers provide talking therapy, support with families, psychosocial education, support with social services and connecting people with communities.
- Psychiatrists can prescribe medication if it is the best option.
Located at Hutt Hospital, High Street, Lower Hutt
(04) 918 2270
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:47PM on November 13, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by 3DHB - Acute Inpatient Services - Youth and Adult.