3DHB - Acute Inpatient Services - Youth and Adult
Mental Health & Addictions Service
Te Whare o Matairangi Inpatient Service
- Programme Areas
Crisis / acute, Mental health
- Programme Type
- Age Groups
- Referral Types
DHB clinical services
If you or someone you know needs urgent help, call Te Haika - 0800 745 477, our 24/7 mental health and addictions contact centre.
The service is for people in Wellington, Porirua or Kāpiti area who are experiencing severe mental illness. We sometimes admit people from the Hutt and other areas.
Te Whare O Matairangi is a 24 hour mental health assessment and treatment service for adults aged from 18 upwards who are experiencing serious mental health concerns.
Here are examples of what we provide:
- Occupational therapists engage people in everyday activities of interest, paid or volunteer
work, outside interests and activities to get them on the road to feeling
- Mental health nurses help with medication, advocacy and assessment, and can do home visits.
- Mental health support workers focus on people’s comfort and their personal cares.
- Social workers provide talking therapy, support with families, psychosocial education, support with social services and connecting people with communities.
- Our pyschologist provides psychological assessment and interventions.
- Psychiatrists can prescribe medication if it is the best option.
Located at Wellington Hospital, Mein Street, Newtown, Wellington
(04) 918 2270
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:47PM on November 13, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by 3DHB - Acute Inpatient Services - Youth and Adult.