Raukura Hauora O Tainui - Mental Health & Addiction Services
Mental Health & Addictions Service, Kaupapa Māori
Alcohol Other Drug Adult Service - Ka Awatea
- Programme Areas
Addictions - drug & alcohol, Kaupapa Māori
- Programme Type
Community / social support (AOD), Kaupapa Māori (AOD)
East Auckland, Central Auckland, West Auckland, South Auckland
- Age Groups
Adult / Pakeke, Older adult / Kaumātua
- Referral Types
Self referral, GP, DHB clinical services, Corrections
- We work with all people aged 17 years and over.
- Referral may be via any source including self referral.
This service been specifically developed and is delivered by a provider who identifies as Māori.
This service uses a Māori framework and model of care that encompasses a holistic approach to health, and is cognisant of the requirements of Māori.
Common elements of Māori models include:
- Taha tinana
- Taha whānau
- Taha hinengaro
- Taha wairua
- Te Reo Māori
- Tikanga Māori
Underpinning these elements are the concepts of mana, tapu and mauri. The service is responsive to those people with more complex needs and co-existing problems and ensures relationships with other organisations and referral pathways are in place, to support good access.
The service can be accessed directly or by referral from family, whānau, primary or other healthcare services and social and community agencies.
Ka Awatea - Adult Alcohol & Other Drug Community Services
Ka Awatea was established in 1997 as a Kaupapa Māori Alcohol and Drug Service offering support, assistance and education around the impacts of alcohol and drugs on one's self, one's whānau, hapu, iwi and community at large.
Ka Awatea offers the following treatment options:
- Community 10 week group programmes which revolve around basic interventions, providing education on problem drinking, drug use and associated behaviours.
- Counselling for individuals seeking intensive intervention.
- Couples counselling for those seeking spousal support.
- Ka Awatea also offers the opportunity to apply for access to a Raukura Hauora O Tainui men's only residential alcohol and drug treatment facility (Te Ara Hou).
Ownership of the way we behave is realigned with the traditional Māori philosophy of wellness and our work centers on Tikanga practices.
Call us on (09) 263 8040 or view the Ka Awatea - Adult Alcohol & Other Drug Community Services section of our website.
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
47 Druces Rd
47 Druces Rd
PO Box 97644
South Auckland Mail Centre
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:38AM on January 26, 2022. This information is reviewed and edited by Raukura Hauora O Tainui - Mental Health & Addiction Services.