Te Rūnanga Ō Kirikiriroa - Mental Health & Addiction Services
Mental Health & Addictions Service
Ngā Whare Tuhono // Adult Mental Health - Supported Accommodation
- Programme Areas
Mental health, Kaupapa Māori
- Programme Type
Kaupapa Māori - mental health, Residential support
- Age Groups
To enter Ngā Whare Tūhono tangata whaiora must:
- Have completed a Support Needs Assessment or Crisis Needs Assessment with an approved assessment service (ask us for a list of approved services).
- Have completed our referral documents (ask us for a copy and we’ll send it to you).
Ideally they should:
- Be over 20 years of age.
- Have support from whānau and/or support person(s) and/or a mental health service.
- Be willing, open and committed to living in a whānau-like residence.
- Be committed to abstaining from illicit substance use.
Ngā Whare Tūhono is a 22 bed residential service which provides supported accommodation for whānau with mental health issues which enables meaningful recovery in a tranquil and safe setting.
Our staff work with the aim of supporting the tangata whaiora’s reintegration into the community wherever possible. In cases where a return to the community is not indicated we look to enable tangata whaiora to live as independently as possible within safe and manageable limits.
A strong focus is placed on residents developing life skills, social skills, self-care skills and the ability to manage their own medication. Being active in one’s own recovery is emphasised and whānau are encouraged to join programmes offered in the community.
Ngā Whare Tūhono upholds the following behavioural standards:
- Zero tolerance of violence and abuse.
- No use of illicit substances.
- Supporting people to make their own choices wherever possible.
59 Higgins Road
59 Higgins Road
PO Box 19165
Waikato Mail Centre
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 3:32PM on November 7, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Te Rūnanga Ō Kirikiriroa - Mental Health & Addiction Services.