Mental Health & Addictions Service
12:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
Online Help for Young People with Depression or Anxiety
- Programme Areas
Self help/ helpline, Mental health
- Programme Type
Helpline / self-help - mental health
All of New Zealand
- Age Groups
- Referral Types
The Lowdown is a website to help young New Zealanders recognise and understand depression or anxiety. Through encouraging early recognition and help for depression or anxiety we intend to reduce the impact depression or anxiety has on the lives of young New Zealanders, now and throughout their adult lives.
The Lowdown is full of ideas and people who can help them get unstuck and get to a better place. The site has been designed to reflect the changing way young people go online so it’s fully mobile optimised.
On the site young people can find:
- Helpful information on anxiety, depression (and other issues they may be struggling with like leaving school or getting on with their parents).
- Videos of 13 real young people telling their stories.
- Quick steps to help build healthy mental wellbeing.
- Healthy behaviours to build resilience.
- Places to go to get help.
- Information for anyone worried about a friend.
- A moderated forum for young people to share stories and experiences and provide peer-to-peer support.
The Lowdown team are an experienced group of counsellors, who are available 24/7 so you can contact us anytime by email or text via 5626.
Your message will be answered by one our team, who will ask you a little bit about yourself and your situation so they can find the best way to help you. (You are not always guaranteed to get the same staff member).
We’ll work with you to find the support you need, we might ask about your feelings and what is happening for you, but our trained staff are there to provide a safe space for you to share and they will give you the time and space that you need to talk if you want to.
The Lowdown is run as part of the National Telehealth Service.
12:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
|Mon – Sun||midnight – midnight|
24 hours / 7 days a week
Public Holidays: Open on all public holidays.
This service is completely free.