Waikato DHB - Infant, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (ICAMHS)
Mental Health & Addictions Service
Infant Child and Adolescent Service - Mental Health
- Programme Areas
- Programme Type
Non-acute specialist mental health community services
- Age Groups
- Referral Types
Self referral, GP, DHB clinical services, Corrections
Anybody can make a referral, including the young person. We get most of our referrals from
GPs, family, friends, medical specialists, school guidance counsellors, Police Youth Aid, schools and education services, the Children and Young Persons and Their Families Agency, and community groups.
We expect the child/adolescent's GP to be informed and involved as the primary medical caregiver, even if they did not make the original referral.
We cannot accept children and adolescents with problems related solely to:
- intellectual disability (includes post head injury) with or without behavioural problems
- learning difficulties
- criminal activities (anti-social behaviours)
- parenting difficulties
The Infant Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (ICAMHS) is a free, community service for children and adolescents up to 18 years old and their families/whānau. We operate in three clusters across the Waikato DHB health district.
We provide assessment and treatment for children and adolescents with moderate to psychiatric disorders and severe emotional or behavioural problems. More specifically we provide these services for those with:
- serious mental health disorders
- psychiatric disorders
- psychological disorders including severe emotional and behavioural disturbance
- drug and alcohol problem use/abuse/dependency (co-existing mental health disorder NOT required)
We offer a confidential and culturally safe service which includes:
- comprehensive assessment, including specialist tests/investigations, where indicated
- a wide range of outpatient treatments including medications, psychological therapies, individual/group/family work and other appropriate interventions as indicated form the findings of the assessments
There may be a wait before some treatments can be commenced.
If inpatient treatment is required we access the Starship Hospital in Auckland, after a thorough assessment and discussion with the child/adolescent's family.
|Mon – Fri||8:30 AM – 5:00 PM|
Non-urgent out of hours messages may be left on our answer phone.
For after hours mental health emergency, phone 0800 50 50 50
No fees apply.
The clinical team is multi-disciplinary, consisting of psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, psychiatric registrars, medical officers (specialist scale), social workers, community mental health nurses, alcohol and drug clinicians, and occupational therapist. We also have a number of students/trainees from these areas, who work under close supervision.
0800 99 99 03
(07) 839 5147
105 Rostrevor Street
105 Rostrevor Street
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 2:12PM on November 18, 2015. This information is reviewed and edited by Waikato DHB - Infant, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (ICAMHS).