Discover Weight Loss
Private Service, Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery, General Surgery
At Discover Weight Loss, our experienced team of health professionals are here to guide you through your weight loss journey. Our goal is to provide you with all the advice, support, and tools necessary to set you up for success. We want to make sure that you can achieve a healthier lifestyle in a way that you can maintain throughout your life.
We perform a number of weight loss surgery procedures including gastric sleeve and gastric bypass.
Consultations are held at Gilgit Road Specialist Centre in Epsom and surgery is performed at Ascot Hospital, Remuera.
- Mr Jon Morrow - Bariatric, Laparoscopic & General Surgeon
- Dr Melanie Lauti - Bariatric Clinician
- Kendall Parkinson - Dietitian
- Sherman Waitai-Cross - Health & Wellness Coach/Personal Trainer
- Dr Adam Harper - Anaesthetist
- Dr Susan Mahon - Psychologist
Read more about our team members here
FAQ: answers to common questions related to weight loss surgery.
What is Weight Loss Surgery?
Bariatric or weight loss surgery is a term that covers all the different surgical procedures used to help obese patients lose weight.
People who have a BMI>30 are considered obese and may be suitable for weight loss surgery. Obesity is associated with an increased risk of developing illnesses such as: heart attack, hypertension, stroke, diabetes, sleep disorders and joint pain. Bariatric surgery can greatly improve these illnesses as well as give the patient an improved quality of life.
A number of different procedures can be performed to treat obesity. Procedures fall into three main types:
- Malabsorptive - these procedures involve bypassing a section of the small intestine thus reducing the amount of food absorbed into the body.
- Restrictive - these procedures involve reducing the size of the stomach which limits the amount of food that can be eaten e.g. gastric sleeve
- Malabsorptive/Restrictive Combination - these procedures combine both techniques e.g. gastric bypass surgery in which a small stomach pouch is formed and its outlet connected to part of the small intestine.
Bariatric, Laparoscopic & General Surgeon
Click here to find out the cost of weight loss surgery.
Procedures / Treatments
The Auckland Transport website is a good resource to plan your public transport options.
Free off street patient parking is provided.
Find nearby pharmacies here
(09) 623 7522
(09) 623 7519
Contact us online here
15 Gilgit Road
15 Gilgit Road
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 12:36PM on May 17, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Discover Weight Loss.