David McCormack | Heart Surgeon | Hamilton
Private Service, Cardiothoracic Surgery
David McCormack is a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Clinical Director in the Waikato Cardiothoracic Unit. Mr. McCormack is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer at The University of Auckland with a clinical interest and expertise in complex aortic surgery. He is skilled in the management of ischaemic heart disease and heart valve surgery and active in the generation and utilisation of technology to advance surgical practice, healthcare delivery and innovate research.
Mr McCormack completed formal training in Cardiothoracic Surgery in leading centres. Below is a collection of central London centres within which Mr McCormack was trained:
- Clinical Director | Waikato Cardiothoracic Unit
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon | Waikato District Health Board
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon | Braemar Hospital
- Senior Lecturer in Surgery, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences | University of Auckland
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialist | New Zealand Medical Council - Vocational Registration
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialist | General Medical Council (UK) - Certificate of Completion of Training
- Faculty of Surgical Trainers | Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of Royal Society of Medicine
- Australian & New Zealand Society of Cardiac & Thoracic Surgeons
- Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain & Ireland
- Sustaining Excellence in Patient Safety Award (2018) | Waikato District Health Board
- Ethicon Travelling Fellowship (2016) | Ethicon - Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland
- ASIT Cardiothoracic Research Prize (2016) | Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland | Association of Surgeons in Training
- ASiT National Surgical Education and Training Prize (2016) | T-Log / Association of Surgeons in Training
- Patient Safety Awards (2016 Finalist) | Technology & IT to Improve Patient Safety | Patient Safety Awards - The ROQAS Project
- Transforming Patient Care Using Technology (2012 Finalist) | British Medical Journal Awards
Mr McCormack is experienced in research and academia. He has presented scientific and clinical work worldwide over the last 15 years.
You will be seen by Mr McCormack for specialist assessment and management of symptoms. Mr McCormack will work in collaboration with your cardiologist, GP and any other health professionals involved in your care keeping them informed of the outcome of these consultations. Some of the topics that can be discussed include:
- Pain assessment
- Review of symptoms
- Past medical history
- Treatment options
- Recovery from surgery
If an operation is necessary, you will be given the opportunity to meet your anaesthetist. You can discuss fully the process of anaesthesia and they will answer any questions you have.
If you require surgery, we will arrange an operation date that is convenient for you. You will be cared for by a skilled and knowledgeable expert team in the excellent facilities of Braemar Hospital including high quality theatres with the latest technologies.
Click here to read about patient care at Braemar Hospital and to watch a patient journey video.
We are proud Affiliated Providers of all major health insurances; Southern Cross Medical Insurance, nib First Choice Medical Insurance, AIA Insurance NZ, Accuro Health Insurance, UniMed Health Insurance and New Zealand Police Association Insurance.
Free parking is provided at Braemar Hospital
027 787 4366 or 027 SURGEON
(07) 843 9815
027 787 4366
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:02AM on May 24, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by David McCormack | Heart Surgeon | Hamilton.