Auckland Weight Loss Surgery
Private Service, General Surgery, Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
In this procedure the stomach and first part of the small intestine are bypassed — this restricts food intake and stimulates hormones that suppress hunger and improve Type II diabetes.
- The small stomach pouch and hormonal effect produce a strong sensation of fullness with very small meals
- Excellent weight loss, sustained long-term
- Dumping syndrome makes it harder to cheat by eating sweets
- Leaks from staple lines and joins
- Ulcers, particularly in smokers
- There is a small risk of intestinal blockage
- Life-long vitamin supplements are required
Click here for a patient information booklet about laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery.
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
(PDF, 190.6 KB)