Dr Walter van der Merwe - Hypertension / Nephrology
Private Service Cardiology Internal Medicine
Dr Walter van der Merwe is a specialist renal physician (nephrologist). Having worked in the public health system for the past 30 years, he is now in full-time private specialist practice.
He has a strong interest in and extensive experience with management of hypertension (high blood pressure).
He provides a specialist service catering to the needs of the patients with difficult or resistant hypertension (and their GPs). He offers to:
- Get the blood pressure to target or as close to target as achievable
- Exclude and manage underlying secondary or contributory causes of hypertension.
Special aspects of his service include:
- Hypertension nurse specialist blood pressure measurement and patient education
- Individualised blood pressure drug titration
- Automated office BP measurement
- Home and ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Global cardiovascular risk assessment and management.
He also welcomes referrals of patients with all forms of renal disease, including those requiring advice on the medical aspects of recurrent renal stone formation.
Please read more about his service on his website: www.hypertensionclinic.co.nz
Medical Specialist, Nephrology and Hypertension
To make an appointment
- Call: (09) 638 5255
- Fax: (09) 638 6022
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Click here to view our patient fact sheet about high blood pressure. More
Dr van der Merwe is an experienced renal physician and is happy to see patients with any kidney problem.… More
Kidney Stones (medical aspects)
In patients who have had more than one episode of kidney stone problems they are very likely to recur in the future.… More
The charges for new patient and follow-up visits and ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (where appropriate) can be obtained be calling (09) 638 5255.
Walter is a Southern Cross Affiliated Provider for the following services :
- Resting electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Consultations (hypertension; nephrology)
The Auckland Transport Journey Planner will help you to plan your journey.
Find your nearest pharmacy here
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:56AM on June 2, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by Dr Walter van der Merwe - Hypertension / Nephrology.