Mr Dean Schluter - Orthopaedic Surgeon
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
My scope of practice primarily consists of assessment and treatment of:
Conditions of the Hip:
- Primary hip replacement
- Revision hip replacement
Knee Arthritis and Sports Injuries
- Primary knee replacement where I have an interest in computer assisted surgery
- Unicompartment knee replacement
- Revision knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- ACL reconstruction
- Osteotomies around the knee
- Patella stabilisation
Foot and Ankle Conditions
- Ankle stabilisation
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle fusion and ankle replacement
- Hallux valgus correction and bunion surgery
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
|Mon – Fri||8:30 AM – 5:00 PM|
For appointments from 8:30am - 5pm please contact my secretary Sue on (09) 484 0040. I am contactable for urgent calls via the Southern Cross (09) 443 2266 or North Shore Hospitals (09) 486 8920 switchboards.
Please contact my secretary Sue for an appointment (09) 484 0040.
I have clinics at:
- Southern Cross Hospital North Harbour in Wairau Road
- Silverdale Medical Centre, 7 Polarity Rise in Silverdale
- The Doctors Fred Thomas Medical Centre, 2 Fred Thomas Drive, Takapuna
Please advise Linda of your ACC number when making the appointment, if applicable.
You need to bring with you:
1. A letter of referral from your doctor, or have one faxed to (09) 929 3170.
2. Bring X-Rays, CT or MRI films and reports. Most images can be viewed online but in case they can't please bring a disc with them on it, or the films. If you don't have the disc try to remember which company took the x-rays: ARG, TRG, Mercy, Horizon, Ascot, SRG or Hibiscus.
3. A list of all medicines you are taking, including herbal and natural remedies.
4. Discharge summaries from any recent hospital admissions.
5 If you have had any surgery on the symptomatic area before, please bring a copy of the operation note or at least find out the name of the surgeon and where and when the surgery was done.
Procedures / Treatments
Joint Replacement - Hip, Knee And Ankle
Total hip joint replacement is a very successful operation for hip arthritis secondary to degeneration of the cartilage due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or rarer conditions such as avascular necrosis and trauma.… More
Osteotomy is surgically cutting a bone and resetting it. The new position is held with a rod or a plate and screws.… More
Arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)
Over the last 30 years a large number of orthopaedic procedures on joints have been performed using an arthroscope, where a fibre optic telescope is used to look inside the joint.… More
Soft Tissue (muscles, tendons and ligaments)
Sporting injuries and trauma can cause injuries to the ligaments of the knee MCL, ACL, PCL and LCL.… More
Southern Cross Hospital North Harbour
Ample visitor parking is available.
Free visitor parking.
Post Fellowship Training
I graduated from Otago University Medical School in 1990 and the New Zealand Orthopaedic training programme in 2002, gaining my FRACS. During the training programme I spent 6 months in Toronto Canada, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Invercargill.
My post graduate training following this was:
- 6 months doing Orthopaedic Trauma at Auckland Hospital
- 6 months doing hip and knee replacement and complex revision surgery at Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
- 6 months doing knee surgery (ACL reconstruction and sports injuries) at Chelsea Westminster Hospital in London, England
- 6 months doing hip and knee replacement and complex revisions and computer navigation at Royal Melbourne and Epworth Hospitals, Melbourne
- 6 months doing foot and ankle surgery at Royal Melbourne and Epworth Hospitals Melbourne, Australia.
I have been working at North Shore Hospital since January 2006 and my private practice is on the North Shore.
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 7:58PM on May 8, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Mr Dean Schluter - Orthopaedic Surgeon.