Dr Antony Bedggood
Dr Bedggood is a subspecialty trained Paediatric Ophthalmologist and Strabismus Surgeon, and an experienced Cataract Surgeon.
- Graduated Otago School of Medicine 1996 & completed his training as an Eye Specialist in 2005.
- Undertook post-graduate sub-specialty training in Paediatric Ophthalmology at the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane, Australia.
- Is employed as a Paediatric Ophthalmologist and Cataract Surgeon at the Christchurch Department of Ophthalmology.
- Is a Visiting Consultant Ophthalmologist at Kew Hospital Southland, managing Paediatric Ophthalmology, Cataract, Glaucoma, Age-related Macular degeneration and other retinal diseases.
Dr Bedggood offers state-of-the art small-incision cataract surgery, management of a range of childhood eye problems, and a very high standard of strabismus surgery, all as day cases at the Oxford Clinic Hospital in central Christchurch.
Dr Bedggood has training and a special interest in the treatment of retinal diseases in children, and also in adults.
Children's Eye Problems
Dr Bedggood can treat all childhood eye problems. Common conditions seen are:
- Glasses to correct poor vision in one or both eyes
- Misaligned eyes (strabismus), or “squint” in lay terms
- Amblyopia (often called a “Lazy eye”)
- Failed preschool vision test
- Lumps around the eye
- Cataract (not that common, but important)
Adult's Eye Problems
Dr Bedggood is experienced in diagnosing and treating a broad range of common eye conditions in adults such as:
- Eyelid problems
- Retinal diseases: macular degeneration, floaters and flashes, diabetic eye disease
Dr Bedggood sees adult patients at Fendalton Eye Clinic.
Charges: children (for specifics regarding adult consultations please contact Fendalton Eye Clinic)
- Initial appointment including a comprehensive examination $130, or usually $35 if you have a current community services card (and qualify for the Enable subsidy, some variations apply).
- Follow-up appointments $75, or $90 if a full dilated examination is required. These are subsidised for community service card holders who qualify, so the charge is $20.
Please note that some conditions do not meet the criteria made by Enable NZ for subsidised follow-up appointments, and so may have a small additional charge attached to them.
- Surgery costs need to be discussed for each condition, but all childhood eye surgery is done under general anaesthesia in a hospital, and so the base costs are around $3000 for a 30-45 minute procedure.
For more information about Dr Bedggood and the services he offers, please click here.
MB ChB 1996 Otago; FRANZCO 2006
- Paediatric ophthalmologist
- Strabismus surgeon
- Cataract surgeon
Title or Designation
Ophthalmologist, Paediatric & Strabismus Specialist
Full NZ Registration Date
25 November 1997
Dr Antony Bedggood is available at the following services:
Private Surgical Services
This service is available at the following location:
Southern Cross Hospital - Christchurch
(03) 968 3100
(03) 968 3101