Dr Brett Rogers
MB ChB 1977 Otago; FRACS 1987; FRANZCO 1988
- Brett has performed over ten thousand (10,000) cataract operations on Southland, Queenstown/Lakes District, Central Otago and Otago patients, over more than twenty years.
- He operates exclusively on cataracts at Southern Cross Hospital in Invercargill.
- He also performs various YAG Laser Eye Surgery procedures at his private consulting rooms.
- Brett obtained his MBChB Medical Degree at the University of Otago in Dunedin.
- He undertook his Eye Surgery Specialist training at Auckland Hospital and at Waikato Hospital, gaining Fellowships from both the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS).
- After working for many years at Southland Hospital, treating a wide range of eye conditions and performing numerous cataract, eyelid, glaucoma, squint and other eye operations, Brett has worked for some years in a full-time private capacity at his "SOUTHERN CATARACT SURGEONS" private rooms, specialising in Cataract Surgery.
- For his Queenstown, Arrowtown, Wanaka & his Central Otago patients, from Alexandra, Cromwell & Clyde, Brett holds Cataract Clinics at the Queenstown Medical Centre, where he provides both cataract assessments and cataract follow-up visits for his cataract patients. Cataract patients only need to travel out of town for the Cataract operation itself, with preoperative assessment and postoperative visits at his Queenstown clinics.
- Brett’s special interest & expertise has always been cataract surgery. He is extremely experienced, and has an extremely high success rate and he particularly enjoys seeing the huge and rapid improvement that cataract surgery can make to his patients’ vision and to their quality of life.
- Brett has had over twelve years' experience using premium, astigmatism-correcting intraocular-lenses (toric intraocular-lenses), implanting over 1,300 such lenses. These special ‘premium’ lenses can give even better vision following cataract surgery than regular lenses and significantly reduce the need to wear spectacles. Brett now offers the option of these toric lenses to over 50% of his cataract patients.
- He routinely offers 'blended vision' to reduce the need for spectacles for near vision as well as for distance vision, following cataract surgery.
- To obtain the best possible cataract-surgery outcomes (excellent vision without spectacles) requires not only vast cataract surgery experience & exceptional surgical skills, but also the very best, state-of-the-art diagnostic & surgical equipment for both the preoperative assessment & intraocular lens-power calculations, and for performing the surgery itself.
- In 2016 Brett became the first eye specialist in Southland to introduce (OCT) Optical Coherence Tomography Laser Scanning Technology to private ophthalmology.
- He remains the only cataract surgeon in Southland/Otago fortunate to possess this ‘Gold Standard’ OCT' Biometry equipment (Carl Zeiss IOLMaster700) to provide the most accurate and precise intraocular lens (IOL) calculations possible, to ensure the very best cataract surgery refractive outcomes to enable excellent postoperative vision.
- (This is the world’s first and only OCT Biometer able to now measure the optical power of the inner surface of the cornea as well as that of the outer surface, allowing significantly higher precision and accuracy for the important lens calculations. Brett was the first Cataract Surgeon in New Zealand to offer this option, which is particularly important for patients requiring astigmatism-correcting lenses and for patients who have had previous Lasik eye surgery.)
- Cataract Surgery including 'refractive cataract surgery' with correction of astigmatism
- Laser treatment of posterior capsular thickening (known sometimes as 'secondary cataract')
Title or Designation
- Fellow of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (F.R.A.N.Z.C.O)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (F.R.A.C.S)
- Member of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the Asia-Pacific Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- International Member of the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- International Member of the American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
Full NZ Registration Date
24 November 1978
Dr Brett Rogers is available at the following services:
This service is available at the following locations:
56 Victoria Avenue, Avenal, Invercargill
(03) 218 7778
(03) 218 7776
CATARACT ASSESSMENT CLINICS are held daily at SOUTHERN CATARACT SURGEONS at 56 Victoria Avenue, in Invercargill. For appointments phone Dr Rogers' secretary at (03) 218 7778
9 Isle Street, Queenstown
(03) 218 7778
(03) 218 7776
CATARACT ASSESSMENT CLINICS are held at about two-weekly intervals at the Queenstown Medical Centre. For appointments phone Dr Rogers' secretary at (03) 218 7778
Private Surgical Services
This service is available at the following location: