Dr John Bowbyes
I am an Ophthalmologist who undertook medical training in Otago and specialist training in Dunedin and London at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
Following that I was a Wellcome Research Fellow attached to the Professorial unit at Moorfields which was also a lecturer’s position within London University.
This appointment established my special interest in medical retina and subsequently I did a vitreoretinal course at Bascom Palmer Hospital in Miami. I was a Keeler travelling fellow to USA where I lectured to many Ophthalmic departments throughout the states.
I returned to Dunedin Hospital and Otago University where I had a consultant appointment at Dunedin Hospital and established a private clinic with surgery at the Mater Hospital. I undertook a full range of eye surgery including vitrectomy and was responsible for the teaching of undergraduate and post-graduate students. I moved to Auckland where I held a similar consultant position at Auckland Hospital in charge of cataract surgery and established Eye clinics in Howick and Greenlane, the latter in the Ascot Hospital.
Seven years ago, I moved to work part time in Australia with a New Zealand colleague to do a short locum which however continued for 7 years!
During this time, I have continued with a full range of ocular surgery and maintained my special interest in medical retina, diabetic retinopathy and more particularly in Age Related Macular Degeneration.
I returned to NZ a few months ago and I have settled into the Queenstown area, where I am establishing Queenstown Eye clinic to serve the area.
- Cataract surgery including cataract refractive surgery with correction of astigmatism
- Corneal surgery including corneal grafting
- Medical retinal disease with particular reference to diabetic retinopathy and macular disease
- Laser treatment of retinal disease
- Glaucoma control and surgery
MB ChB 1963 Otago; FRCS Eng 1971
- Refractive cataract surgery
- Medical retinal diseases
- Fluorescein angiography
Title or Designation
- Senior lecturer Professorial clinic Moorfields Eye Hospital London
- Fellowship retinal and macular diseases Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Wellcome research Fellow Moorfields / Hammersmith with special reference to Diabetic retinopathy
- Vitreo-retinal training Bascombe Palmer Eye Institute Miami
- Keeler Travelling fellow
- Glaxo Travelling fellow England and New Zealand
Full NZ Registration Date
22 February 1965
Dr John Bowbyes is available at the following service: