Prof Alexander Sasse
Prof. Sasse is Head of the Cardiology Department.
His special interests in non-invasive and invasive imaging of the heart and he Director of Cardiac Imaging at Wellington Hospital.
Other special interests are:
- Invasive and non-invasive management of coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease and structural heart disease.
- Echocardiography including 3D echocardiography, strain assessment and contrast echocardiography.
- The heart and stroke, in particular via a patent foramen ovale (PFO) as well as interventional treatment of PFO and ASD (atrial septal defects).
- Management of arrhythmia and in particular atrial fibrillation with a focus on stroke prevention and LAA device closure.
- Cardiac MRI.
- Cardiac CTA / CTCA.
- Cardiac rehabilitation.
- Cardiac gene and stem cell therapy.
- Echocardiography and Imaging. New echocardiography modalities (3D, Strain, Asynchrony).
- Cardiac Prioritisation Score: Assessment of a novel scoring tool to assess risk of cardiac surgery and predict outcome.
- Frailty and Age. The impact of age and frailty on cardiac procedures. Risk assessment and scoring of heart disease.
Zweiter Abschnitt Certificate 1996 Bonn; Spec Cert (Gen Med) 2003 Nordrhein
3. Staatsexamen / MB 1996 (University of Bonn, Germany)
Doctor of Medicine (Dr.med.) 2000 (University of Bonn, Germany)
Board Certification Internal Medicine 2003 (Germany)
Board Certification Cardiology 2004 (Germany)
Cardiologist, Wellington Hospital (2007)
Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Otago Medical School, Wellington (2007)
Adj. Professor, Victoria University Wellington (2009)
Cardiologist, Wakefield Heart Centre (2010)
Regional Representative CSANZ Central New Zealand Region (2013-)
Honorary Secretary and Treasurer CSANZ New Zealand Committee (2014-)
Medical School Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University Bonn, Germany (1990 - 1996)
University Hospital Rheinisch-Westfaelische Technische Hochschule Aachen, Germany (1996 - 2000)
Research Fellowship Institute of Heart and Cardiovascular Physiology, Heinrich-Heine University Duesseldorf, Germany (2000 - 2001)
University Hospital Rheinisch-Westfaelische Technische Hochschule Aachen, Germany (2001 - 2007)
Title or Designation
Prof Alexander Sasse is available at the following services: