North Auckland, West Auckland > Public Hospital Services > Te Whatu Ora – Health New Zealand Waitematā >

Community Social Work | Waitematā | Te Whatu Ora

Public Service, Allied Health, Community



Formerly Waitematā DHB Community Social Work

About the Service

Social workers provide assessment, therapeutic conversations, information provision, complex problem solving and a safeguarding response for people experiencing:

  • Emotional stress experienced as a result of changes in health 
  • Grief and loss associated with health changes, and changing roles
  • Relationship issues eg. carer stress, changing roles and family/ whānau dynamics
  • Situations of Abuse and/or neglect where a person is concerned for their own safety or the safety of another person.

Referral Expectations

Referrals to Allied Health Community Social Work are taken from:

Self or, with the person’s permission* -

  • family/whānau
  • GPs
  • hospital staff
  • specialists and other health professionals.

*Where person's permission cannot be obtained social workers duty of care may apply - please consult

Entry criteria

  • A person and/or their family or whānau who are challenged by needing to work through personal, emotional, relationship and/or social issues that are health or disability related.
  • Adults over the age of 16 years.
  • Adults at risk:
    • A person 18 years or older who has needs for care and/or support (whether they are receiving services for those needs or not)
    • Is experiencing (or at risk of) family violence, sexual violence or any form of abuse, neglect or harm, and
    • because of their needs for care and/or support, is unable to protect themselves against the abuse or the risk of it.
    • All parts of the definition must apply.

Referrals are not accepted for the following:

  • Assessment for home support services, carer relief and residential care services: refer to Needs Assessment & Service Co-ordination (NASC).
  • Mental health counselling:  refer to the appropriate Mental Health Service.
  • Alcohol and drug issues:  refer to Community Alcohol and Drug Service.
  • Intimate Partner Violence for people 64 years or under who's needs would be more appropriately met by a mainstream Family Violence Service for example Family Action, Tu Wahine Trust, Shine or Shakti.
  • Solely financial, budgeting and/or housing issues.

Limited Service Provided:

  • For residents living in residential care homes social workers can provide:
    • social work therapeutic engagement to assist a person manage the emotional impact of moving to residential care when the person is already engaged with social work and does not have family support through this move
    • an assessment and transition service for people moving out of residential care back to a private dwelling in the community
  • Young people with disability over the age of 16 years still attending school.  A decision is agreed between the leaders of Child Women and Family Social Work Services and the Community Social Work Service as to which service will accept the referral.

Please telephone the Referral Screener for all requests, information and advice:
Phone: (09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday - closed on public holidays)
Email:  OlderAdultsHomeHealth@Waitematadhb.govt.nz (for referrals)


There is no charge for this service.


Mon – Fri 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Closed on Public Holidays.

Document Downloads