Waitematā DHB Community Social Work
Public Service, Allied Health, Community
About the Service
Social workers provide assessment, therapeutic conversations, information provision and complex problem solving for people experiencing:
- Emotional stress experienced as a result of changes in health
- Grief and loss associated with health changes, and changing roles
- Relationship issues eg. carer stress, changing roles and family dynamics
- Vulnerable Adult safety concerns regarding abuse or neglect
- Complex social problems impacted by on-going health issues.
Referrals to Allied Health community social work are taken from:
Self or, with the patient’s permission -
- hospital staff
- specialists and other health professionals.
- Individuals and families struggling to deal with personal, emotional, relationship and social problems that are health or disability related.
- Adults over the age of 16 years.
Referrals are not accepted for the following:
- Assessment for home support services, carer relief and residential care services: refer to Needs Assessment & Service Co-ordination (NASC).
- Mental health counselling: refer to the appropriate Mental Health Service.
- Alcohol and drug issues: refer to Community Alcohol and Drug Service.
- Financial/budgeting and accommodation.
- Residents living in residential homes/ care facilities who require ongoing interventions.
- Children with a disability who are over 16 and still attend school: refer to Child Development Service.
Please telephone the Referral Screener for all requests, information and advice:
Phone: (09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday - closed on public holidays)
Email: OlderAdultsHomeHealth@Waitematadhb.govt.nz (for referrals)
There is no charge for this service.
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 4:30 PM|
Closed on Public Holidays.
- Social Work Service - Information Sheet [Nov17] (PDF, 423.5 KB)
(09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday - closed on public holidays)
Please telephone the Referral Screener on the number above for all requests, information and advice.
136 Whangaparaoa Road
136 Whangaparaoa Road
Waitematā District Health Board
PO Box 93 503
North Shore 0740
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:34PM on October 6, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Waitematā DHB Community Social Work.