Waitematā DHB Physiotherapy - Outpatients Clinic
7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
About the Service
Outpatient Physiotherapy provides patient centred and goal specific assessment and intervention including:
- assessment, treatment and provision of advice and education and / or equipment to improve function and therefore activity and participation capacity
- rehabilitation e.g. post surgery, post acute injury, post exacerbation of a chronic condition, post neurological event or exacerbation, for respiratory conditions
- assessment and treatment to patients diagnosed with or at risk of developing lymphoedema.
7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
|Mon – Fri||7:30 AM – 4:30 PM|
Except on Public Holidays
It is preferred that referrals for each new patient are from a doctor, physiotherapist, specialist or other health professional. We do accept self-referrals or referrals from family/ whānau (with the patient's consent).
- Understand the reason for the referral
- Have given consent for the referral
- Be able to travel to North Shore or Waitakere Hospital.
Due to increasing pressure of referrals to our service, patients who do not attend their appointment without giving prior notice may be discharged from the service and we will require a further referral to resume treatment.
Please telephone the Referral Screener for all requests, information and advice:
Phone (09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday)
Fax: (09) 486 8997 (for referrals)
- People with reduced mobility and / or resulting diminished function, activity or participation due to a temporary or permanent illness, injury or disability.
- Adults over the age of 16 years.
- Children under the age of 16 years with personal health issues and respiratory conditions.
- Live within the Waitematā DHB catchment area.
- Patients not eligible for healthcare funding under Ministry of Health directives will be advised their treatment is chargeable.
Referrals are not accepted for the following:
- Patients who require intervention that is specific to their home or community environment
- Residents living in Residential Homes / Care facilities
- Children with a disability who are over 16 and still attend school (seen by Child Development Service)
- Patients who are re-referred for the same condition within 12 months without specific details of a new event that has contributed to a decline in function.
- Patients who are receiving Physiotherapy treatment with a private provider
- Patients requiring orthotics provision only.
Where referrals do not have sufficient information for the service to adequately triage clinical need, the referral may be sent back to the referrer.
Please note, we rarely use passive modalities such as massage, heat and electrotherapy as it has become increasingly clear that while passive treatments often provide short term pain relief, they have little long term benefit to the patient.
Procedures / Treatments
The Physiotherapy Outpatients Service at North Shore and Waitakere hospitals provides input for various conditions.… More
(09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday for referrals)
(09) 486 8997 (for referrals)
Please telephone the referral screener on the number above for all requests, information and advice.
Private Bag 93115
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 2:44PM on October 1, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Waitematā DHB Physiotherapy - Outpatients Clinic.