Auckland DHB Nursing Services - Continence
Public Service, Community
The service provides nursing assessments including management and supplies for people from the age of four with bowel and bladder problems.
A full assessment of your conditions may include:
- bladder pattern analysis
- bladder scan
- bowel assessment.
A treatment plan for continence problems may involve:
- bladder retraining
- ongoing education/study days
- appropriate product recommendation
- bowel management programmes
- recommendation and regular review of postal supplies
- education and support to you and your carers
- referral on to other specialist services such as Urology.
What to expect
We will conduct a full assessment and then work with you to develop a plan to ensure your continence needs are met.
If you are able to attend a clinic you will be requested to do so. The clinics operate an appointment system to ensure you are not kept waiting.
If you aren't able to attend a clinic the nurse will contact you following the referral to arrange a visiting time at your home.
How long will I need to wait for an assessment?
We aim to see clients within 8 weeks.
How do I get continence supplies?
A detailed assessment needs to be undertaken to determine whether continence supplies are required.
How can I get a referral to the service?
Your GP or other healthcare professional known to you can refer via fax or electronic referral.
Referrals accepted to this service from:
- Primary Care
- Self-referrals and from acute settings
Referrals accepted to this service include:
- Assessment for urinary & faecal incontinence
- Bladder retraining programs
- Bowel management
- Advice on continence aids including purchasing information
- Education for clients/carers
- Education for health professionals
- Assessment for supply of continence aids for clients with irreversible continence problems.
Referrals can be sent by appropriate health professionals through the e-Referral system.
(09) 307 4949 EXT 28531
Or you can ring our Single Point of Access telephone line 0800 631 1234
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:56AM on March 25, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by Auckland DHB Nursing Services - Continence.