Kainga Ora Healthy Homes Initiative
Kainga Ora is a free service which aims to support low income families to have warmer, drier and healthier homes. We deliver our interventions through a mixture of social work and interagency collaboration.
Once a referral for whanau is received and accepted, initial contact is made by a member of our Social work team. They will make an appointment to do a home assessment with the family.
We may be able to assist with the following interventions:
- Interventions are determined during the assessment in agreement with whanau.
- These interventions can include:
- Education on keeping houses warm and dry
- Social Work
- Budgeting Services
- Full and Correct Entitlement Assessments (FACE)
- Support with Social Housing Applications
- Minor repairs
- Broken Windows
- Window Latches
- Draught Stopping
- Installation of Smoke Alarms
|Mon – Fri||8:30 AM – 5:00 PM|
Whanau that fit the criteria are eligible for our healthy homes service. Referrals can come from health professionals or whanau can self-refer. We are happy to take calls regarding eligibility.
Referral Forms can be downloaded here.
We also provide referral training for Health and Social work agencies who would like to refer whanau they work with.
- Children 0-14yrs old
- Adult (receiving Bicillin Injections)
- Pregnant/new mothers and newborn babies
How do I access this service?
- Send referral
- Contact us
- Want us to call you? Free text our number to 798
Curtain Donations Wanted to help families in need:
Full-length, lined curtains are vital for creating a warm home and on behalf of the Curtain Banks, we would like to ask for donated second hand curtains for the families we see.
The Curtain Bank will clean and line curtains if necessary and Habitat for Humanity will help to install these. Please see below for curtain drop off points:
- Ecomatters: 1 Olympic Place, New Lynn, Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm, Saturday 10am – 1pm
- Vision West: 97 Glendale Rd, Glen Eden, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm
- Kaipatiki Centre: 17 Lauderdale Rd, Birkdale, anytime (the collection bins are outside)
- Greenstar Energy Solutions: 26 Grayson Ave, Papatoetoe, Monday to Friday 10am – 3pm
- Habitat for Humanity: 8 Ormiston Rd, Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturday 9am - 3pm
- Point Chevalier Community Centre: 18 Huia Rd, Tuesdays 9am - 4.30pm, Wednesdays 9am - 6pm, Thursdays and Fridays, 9am - 4.30pm
South Auckland Families:
Families living in South Auckland are seen by our sister Initiative at National Hauora Coalition, AWHI. We are happy to pass you onto them or you can contact them directly here.
Greenlane Clinical Centre
Greenlane Clinical Centre
Private Bag 92189
Victoria Street West
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:54PM on August 7, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Kainga Ora Healthy Homes Initiative.