Counties Manukau Health Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- swollen legs and an enlarged abdomen
- easy bruising and bleeding
- frequent bacterial infections
- malnutrition, especially muscle wasting in the temples and upper arms
- jaundice (a yellow tinge to the skin and eyes).
Cirrhosis is diagnosed using a number of tests including: blood tests, ultrasound scans and a biopsy of the liver.
Treatment options depend on the severity of damage to the liver and include dietary changes and avoidance of substances such as alcohol that can further damage the liver. Medication may be given to prevent complications and treat symptoms of liver failure. There is no cure other than liver transplantation.