Central Region Metabolic and Bariatric Service (CRMBS)
6:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
The Central Region Metabolic and Bariatric Service (CRMBS) is provided at Wellington Hospital for the Wellington region, Hutt Valley, Wairarapa, Midcentral and Whanganui DHBs.
All regional referrals in the first instance must be reviewed by the DHB of domicile.
Patients with obesity should be referred only if they express an interest in pursuing surgery as an option for management.
Evaluation and Management Options:
- Patients should be well motivated and informed
- They should express a willingness to institute lifestyle changes relating to eating behaviour and exercise
- Patients can be referred if they express an interest in surgery for management of their obesity
- Management of concurrent medical conditions should be optimised prior to referral (e.g. diabetes, OSAS, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia etc)
- Patients should read the information booklet on obesity surgery and complete an assessment questionnaire prior to being referred for consideration and prioritisation.
6:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
|Mon – Sun||6:00 AM – 9:00 PM|
For after-hours access there is a bell to the right of these doors which will be answered by the security orderlies.
- Weight less than 160kg and BMI less than 55.
- BMI greater than 35 with medical co-morbidities e.g. diabetes, sleep apnoea, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, infertility, arthritis.
- Stable adult life pattern and strong social supports.
- Absence of substance including nicotine.
- Willingness to accept lifelong medical surveillance.
Each referral is reviewed by an expert team and scored against a national scoring system. This score aids the team in determining which candidates get the greatest benefit.
Contact us for further advice or information.
Procedures / Treatments
10am - 1pm and 3pm - 8pm. Please be considerate to other patients and limit the number of your visitors at any one time.
There is no visiting between 1pm and 3pm as this time is the patient rest period.
You can purchase refreshments from:
- Fuel coffee bar located in the main corridor by the purple lifts
- Wishbone located in the Atrium of the main hospital
- The hospital shop is located in the Atrium of the main hospital. It is open from 7:30am - 5:30pm Mon to Fri, 9:00am - 3:00pm Sat and Sun.
Finding your way Around
You will find maps and signs throughout the hospital.
Map 1 - Displays entrances to Wellington Regional Hospital.
If you’re unsure of where to go, please ask a staff member. All staff members wear identity cards and are happy to help you.
Parking areas for patients and visitors are provided as follows:
Main Public Car Park - entrance off Riddiford Street. This is a well lit car park with mechanical barrier arms at the entrance.
Collect your ticket on arrival from the machine on entering the underground car park.
All parking fees are payable when you leave the car park at any Auto Pay Station. You can pay with notes, coins or credit cards at the Auto Pay Station.
Alternatively, there is an ASB ATM cashflow machine in the main atrium foyer, Level 2.
This machine accepts most major cards.
In Front of the Emergency Department - entrance off Riddiford Street. This is a Pay and Display car park and payment can be made by cash or credit card. Visitors bringing patients to the Emergency Department can request a permit to display in their car which entitles them to free parking.
Left Side of Hospital Road - public Pay and Display parking is provided on the left side of Hospital Road (if driving in from Adelaide Road) which is convenient for visitors to the Grace Neill Block. Payment is by cash or credit card.
4 Hour Short Term Car Park - entrance off Mein Street. This is a Pay and Display car park and is suitable for patients visiting the Orthopaedic Clinic. There are three designated mobility parks in this area.
Wellington Hospital map showing public car parking.
If a patient or their primary support person visits the hospital more than three times per week, or is a long term regular patient, C&C DHB provides discounted parking. Please talk to the Charge Nurse Manager or Charge Midwife Manager in the department you are visiting about whether you are eligible for discounted parking.
Car Park Management
Care Park manage the hospital car park in accordance with the C&C DHB Car Park Management Plan. Cars may be towed away if parked in no parking zones (yellow lines). Enforcement Notices are issued in Pay and Display areas where no valid coupon is displayed. All net income from the parking is used by C&C DHB to fund other projects such as the free patient shuttle from Kenepuru to Wellington Hospitals or an on-site shuttle service for patients.
Care Park contact: 0800 227 372.
On-Site Patient Shuttle
Wellington Hospital site is quite hilly and C&C DHB provides a free shuttle service for patients and visitors. This shuttle stops at the entrance to all buildings on site, and those catching public transport can catch the shuttle at the shelter just inside the Riddiford Street entrance. One of the shuttles is accessible for patients in wheelchairs.
Free Shuttle Service
A free shuttle for patients runs between Wellington and Kenepuru Hospitals. To book, please call Kenepuru Orderlies on (04) 385 5999 ext 7088.
The shuttle operates Monday to Friday: 7am - 6pm, departing from Wellington (Mein Street Entrance) and Kenepuru (Main Entrance) sites on the hour. Travel time is approximately 40 minutes.
This service also includes an internal run throughout the Wellington site with pick up and drop off from the Main Entrance, Riddiford Building, Main Outpatients, and the Blood and Cancer Centre.
Whanau Care Services
Accommodation at Te Pehi Parata Whanau Whare is provided for patients & whanau.
Temporary accommodation is provided for patients and whanau who are supporting an inpatient from outside the Capital & Coast District Health Board region.
Sometimes patients who are booked to have surgery at Wellington Hospital need to come in before their operation to be assessed by the doctors or nurses. They may be asked to be at hospital early on the morning of their surgery. This can be difficult for patients who live out of the Wellington region.
- Accommodation is limited with pre-booking advised. There is one room per whanau for three or four people depending on availability.
- Book through Whanau Care Services between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- The cost of a room is $30.00 a night with a $10.00 refundable key bond.
General Enquiries: (04) 385 5999
Fax: (04) 385 5856
Emergency Department: Open 24 hours / 7 days, Phone (04) 385 5999
Private Bag 7902
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:02PM on July 7, 2016. This information is reviewed and edited by Central Region Metabolic and Bariatric Service (CRMBS).